Ukraine Aid Causing USA Ammo Shortage?!

Muddyboots

Anybody reading this as well? Our military is at all time low inventory? If remotely true, components will remain scarce I bet while replenishing stockpiles.

We have sent 800,000 155mm shells to Ukraine. The GPS guided shells cost $225,000 each. Standard shell costs $200.
The commercial market for supplies I think will be affected as manuf. shift over to military production that would take up their capacity.

It's not just the raw materials like copper, lead, powder and brass. We don't hardly make any of those things domestically anyway. It's the time! Time to produce tooling and to set up tooling. Throw in a global PLANDEMIC and people being paid to stay at home and supply chain issues blablabla.

I'd be guessing but I'd assume that a factory capable of making 80mm rounds could make 10,000 a day....that same factory could produce 200,000 308win cartridges in the same amount of time.

I think that "with my tin foil helmet on" THEY can't control guns so they will control the ammo. We had a war going on for 20 years in the sandbox and the only time components got scarce is when Brandon was in the Whitehouse....both times! I'm pretty sure we used more ammo in Iraq in 20 years than the vogue model president guy has in the past year. Ukraine isn't the issue..... the swamp is!

Making stuff for the Ukrainians is a big jump. $ values common in multi billions. Contractors must be harvesting much $ and my guess is certain items have less priority.

From the White House report.
Fact Sheet on U.S. Security Assistance for Ukraine.

• 800 Stinger anti-aircraft systems;
  • 2,000 Javelin, 1,000 light anti-armor weapons, and 6,000 AT-4 anti-armor systems;
  • 100 Tactical Unmanned Aerial Systems;
  • 100 grenade launchers, 5,000 rifles, 1,000 pistols, 400 machine guns, and 400 shotguns;
  • Over 20 million rounds of small arms ammunition and grenade launcher and mortar rounds;
  • 25,000 sets of body armor; and
  • 25,000 helmets.
In addition to the weapons listed above, previous United States assistance committed to Ukraine includes:

• Over 600 Stinger anti-aircraft systems;
  • Approximately 2,600 Javelin anti-armor systems;
  • Five Mi-17 helicopters;
  • Three patrol boats;
  • Four counter-artillery and counter-unmanned aerial system tracking radars;
  • Four counter-mortar radar systems;
  • 200 grenade launchers and ammunition;
  • 200 shotguns and 200 machine guns;
  • Nearly 40 million rounds of small arms ammunition and over 1 million grenade, mortar, and artillery rounds;
  • 70 High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicles (HMMWVs) and other vehicles;
  • Secure communications, electronic warfare detection systems, body armor, helmets, and other tactical gear;
  • Military medical equipment to support treatment and combat evacuation;
  • Explosive ordnance disposal and demining equipment; and
  • Satellite imagery and analysis capability.

"From another article:
Read more: https://www.ammoland.com/2020/11/ho...d-for-the-united-states-market/#ixzz7e6MAgP6B
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution
Follow us: @Ammoland on Twitter | Ammoland on Facebook
Ammunition manufacturing capacity, for the United States market, is about 9 billion rounds per year. About 5 billion are rimfire, and about 4 billion are centerfire.

Small arms ammunition capacity for the U.S. military is about 1.6 billion rounds per year. It is all centerfire ammunition."

I'm thinking it's only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to rifle, pistol, and shotgun ammo really going overseas, those primers we can't get for reloading have got to be going somewhere, plus we still have to keep and replenish ammo stock here for our Military... and LEO still gets the first crack with many ammo companies for their needs. "Just" the Federal LEOs agencies alone buy over $325.9 million on ammunition each year, that's a lot of bang, bang. State, County, and City combined would far exceed that number easily.

Just my thought on the subject. Cheers

Recent Posts