Two questions

marketello

What is a mil-dot scope, do most scope manufatures make them?

People here who shoot .308's what is the max range you can't shoot before advocating moving up to the mags?

Make it three questions, what is a free floating barrel?

[ 10-13-2004: Message edited by: Greenhorn ]

Greenhorn
A mil-dot is a scope with a series of dots running along the crosshairs (up & down) spaced at equal distances. The spacing is one minute of angle.( 1" at 100yds, 2" at 200yds...ect.)These are used both for holdover points and for general to very accurate rangefinding depending on how good you get with one.

The 308 question I can't help with, don't own one....Yet. But to get your most specific answer the folks here will need to know your intended use, hunting, target,competition.

Free floating a barrel means to open up the barrel channel in the stock until nothing is touching the barrel from the recoil lug forward.
Hope that helps some
Chris

[ 10-13-2004: Message edited by: winmagman ]

Greenhorn/Winmagman
I'm pretty sure that the spacing between the centers of the dots runs 1 milradian. Or about 3.5" (depending on who's system) between centers at 100 yrds. You will need to see what the manufacturer lists for their product. You can jump over to shooterready.com and see how the system works and play on their simulator.

Horn,
Suggest that you do a Google search for Mil dot reticles, lots of good info - check the Premiere Reticle site for a good article.
We kill deer cleanly, with confidence out to 650 yards. After 700 the .308 seems to lose killing energy delivery. Have seen a lot of deer bite the dust from .308's the last few years, they are very effective between 5 and 600 yards.

Free floating barrel is doing just that - no contact with the fore-end from the chambered portion forward. Usually tested by being able to slide a business card the length of the barrel channel. Barrel is free to vibrate and do its harmonics hopefully the same for each shot.

We use 3.6" between centers of the round mildots, there are two shapes, footballs and baseballs. Check out Shooterrready and Mildot Master sites.

650 yards, bot I would be happy to get accurate at 650. Here in CA there aren't many ranges in my area, I have never seen any that go over 350.

Don't know of anywhere I can go to set a target up at more than 350 yds.

Where do most of you go to take 600 yard shots, private land?

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.