Two Questions??

Jim Hundley

You people have me really thinking about long range shooting.I have a hunting rifle (.300 Win.25.3" Hart)and a target rifle (Remington 700 PSS-.308 factory except trigger).
1.The .308 has a 26"barrel,Jewell trigger,6.5-20xLRT Leupold.Would this rig get me started in long range target or deer hunting?
2.If I put the LRT scope on the hunting rifle can I dial in the verticle turret for lasered ranges or would I need a different scope?
If anyone could give me some pointers I would appreciate it.By the way,both rifles are 1/2" or less shooters.
Thank you,
Jimmy

Jimmy,
You are in excellent shape to get into LR hunting and shooting. I would not worry a bit about rifle/scope combo - just allocate a bunch of time to reading info from the archives of this site so that you understand how to get started correctly. First thing I always suggest is to buy a good .308 WIn. to learn on, and you are already there! Find a partner, get some safe ground to shoot on and crank a BUNCH of ammo. You will have to learn to keep good notes, just too much field data to remember. We have special data sheets, books etc. you will find much of that info in the SEARCH function.

Jimmy,

The 308 has plenty of performance for long range deer hunting. It just has more bullet drop at extended ranges so accurate ranging becomes critical but at long range it is anyway.

If your LRT is a Mk4 model like this one:

241899.jpg

It will perform very well as discribed. If it does not have the target turrets you can either get aftermarket knobs or just use them as is, they are just a little harder to keep track of your zero without the target knobs.

They both sound like good shooters and would serve well on deer at long range.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks,Ian and Fiftydriver:
Could I send my LRT scope to Luepold and have them convert it to the turrets on that scope.Also,have them install a mil-dot retical?Would that help out any?Jimmy

The turrets would certainly make life easier, as far as the mil dot, if your going to dial in all your adjustments, youcan certainly get away with out this system. If you will be using an accurate range finder and dialing for each shot, a fine plex would work extremely well.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Jimmy,
The larger MK4 M1 tactical style turrets can only be fitted to a 30mm scope. If your scope is a 30mm model you could get Leupold or Premiere Reticle to install tactical turrets. If you have a one inch scope with target turrets you would probably be OK for learning the basics. We need at least 40-45 minutes of available elevation to get the various .308 bullets out to 900-1000 yards. Available elevation is the amount of UP left in your turrets after you have zeroed at 100 yards. We increase the available elevation by using sloped bases, get an additional 20 moa or even more by using forward (downward) sloping bases.
Good luck on your venture. The .308 is a great learning platform - once you get some knowledge and confidence you can decide to hunt with the .308 or go longer with your magnum. Deer die very quickly out to 650 with proper bullets from a .308, after that the energy delivered poops out pretty quick. Bullet drop is not your enemy, the wind is your big challenge for long shooting.

Ian and Fifty,guess the scope will be OK.It is a 30mm tube with a 50mm objective with fine crosshairs (duplex).All I need to do is have a long range turret conversion and in the future put a top quality barrel,chamber,and blueprint.Sounds that I am basically ready to go as is,at least to get a taste for LR shooting.Thanks a million for your help!
Jimmy

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.