Two day coyote hunt

Korhil78

A buddy of mine and I have access to a large area of private land in SW New Mexico that we can coyote hunt on. We took advantage of that this weekend. We called morning and evening on Saturday and called all day on Sunday. We ended up calling in 32 dogs (that we visually saw) and killed 15. We were calling in some heavy mesquite at times and really needed a shotgun. The dogs were on us and out in seconds! We had a really good time though. Definitely bringing the shotgun next time! We called in one quadruple, two triples and a few doubles. I didn't take pics of all the coyotes we downed but here are a couple. The last one I got lucky on and shot him just as he was running away from us into the brush.

IMG_5060.jpg
IMG_5061.jpg

A buddy of mine and I have access to a large area of private land in SW New Mexico that we can coyote hunt on. We took advantage of that this weekend. We called morning and evening on Saturday and called all day on Sunday. We ended up calling in 32 dogs (that we visually saw) and killed 15. We were calling in some heavy mesquite at times and really needed a shotgun. The dogs were on us and out in seconds! We had a really good time though. Definitely bringing the shotgun next time! We called in one quadruple, two triples and a few doubles. I didn't take pics of all the coyotes we downed but here are a couple. The last one I got lucky on and shot him just as he was running away from us into the brush.

View attachment 168929
View attachment 168933
Sounds awesome wish i was there,what caliber was used ,and what were the range variations,I hope to hunt NM at some point.Great hunt you guys had.What caller used?

I was using a AR in 6.5 Grendel and my buddy was using an AR in 223. I was shooting the 123 Gr ELDM and he was shooting the 55 Gr vmax. Most ranges were 30-40 yards but we had a few that went to 80-100 yards. If one of us had a shotgun, we would have gotten quite a bit more. Some places we were setting up didn't leave a lot of reaction time by the time the coyote was to the caller. These coyotes were sprinting to the caller almost everytime with no hesitation. The pelts down here do not sell well at all since the fur is not very thick. We were just doing some predator control since there were so many.

We were using a FoxPro Shockwave with the lightning jack sound.

I was using a AR in 6.5 Grendel and my buddy was using an AR in 223. I was shooting the 123 Gr ELDM and he was shooting the 55 Gr vmax. Most ranges were 30-40 yards but we had a few that went to 80-100 yards. If one of us had a shotgun, we would have gotten quite a bit more. Some places we were setting up didn't leave a lot of reaction time by the time the coyote was to the caller. These coyotes were sprinting to the caller almost everytime with no hesitation. The pelts down here do not sell well at all since the fur is not very thick. We were just doing some predator control since there were so many.

We were using a FoxPro Shockwave with the lightning jack sound.
Excellent,must be similar to Arizona,my brother lives there and i called 10 to 15 coyotes in a day,they came in so fast no shot over 75 yards,was hard to get on them with a rifle.I averaged five kills a day,no shotgun could have been closer to 10 a day.Foxpro is a graet call,i use an Icotec Night stalker,also an excellent caller,not one time did it fail to call in a predator,even if it was not the targeted ones. These things happen.Nice write keep us posted.My weapons of choice,22 hornet,204 ,and yes lowly 22 head shots to 100 yards.Nice weapon selection on you guys part.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts