Annual coyote hunt with two buddies

I tried with buffer and without buffer and the buffer did lot better. I really think with a heavy payload like 52 pellets, the full length wad really keeps the pellets together well.

I actually have a ton of copper plated 00 that I am going to make a load for as well and see how it does. If I find a good patterning load for it, it will really cut down on my cost per round since I got it for free.

with a shotgun you have two choices pellet size or pattern density, it's a balancing act. I would pick 52 22 caliber pellets or 55 20 caliber pellets over larger shot, for pattern density, the farther away your target is, the bigger deal pellet numbers are.... with T shot dead coyote load the farthest was 94 yards, took 4 shots but at 50-70 yards dead right now, one shot......YMMV but that is my opinion. 😉

In the thick stuff I hunt I need them DOA. It's no fun spending hours on hours looking for one that has crawled up in the thickest stuff you can imagine. I hold my shots to 50 yards where it flattens them. It will definately kill much farther but it's pot luck on how fast it kills because you cannot choose where those pellets hit. Oh and besides who knows when a hog may show up.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.