Twist Rate question

Does anyone here know if a 7MM Remington Magun barrel with a 1 in 9.5 inch twist rate will stabilize 175 grain bullets? If not, does anyone here know what the heaviest bullet it will stabilize is?

Newbie 71,

The 9.5 twist shoudl handle most 175 gr pills at the velocities the 7mm Rem Mag will drive them to.

The flat base 175's will not be a problem at all. The long ones like the 175 gr Sierra SPBT may not be fully stabilized and would need a 9" twist.

Most 9.5's I have seen stabilized all the conventional bullet weights in 7mm.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Hey, you're not that much of a "newbie" if you are aware enough to ask a question like that. 175 grain is a common big game bullet in 7 Mag. I'd be surprised if most hunting bullets do not stabilize, depending on barrel length and muzzle velocity; unless you are thinking of an exotic bullet shape, or all copper.

What is your mission? LB

I just asked Sierra the same question about their new 175 SMK (would the 175 SMK work in a 9-1/2 twist in a 7mm rem mag)

The engineer's reply was at first no, it wasn't recommended for 9-1/2 twist @ 2900-3000 (roughly 7mm Rem Mag speed), they didn't think it would stabilize adequately. He recommened that I try the 168gr SMK instead.

He then emailed me back a few days later, saying they did have some promising results with this combo, and that he would let me know what they found in a couple of weeks after further testing.

I may be wrong but i think if your barrel is rem stock it may be 9.25 twist check it out just a thought MARLOW

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.