22-250 twist rate question

Bill56

I found a pretty good deal on a used Savage Model 12 VLP in 22-250 tonight on the web. I will need to make a call in the AM to find out some of the particulars including twist rate.

I plan on shooting 50 and 55 grain bullets and reloading in the very near future. It will hopefully be used in the next few years dusting off some pdogs. I don't see myself shooting any of the higher grain bullets through this rifle for any sort of matches. So, what twist rate should I be looking at? It seems like most of the Savage 22-250's come in a 12 twist except the VLP that also comes in a 1 in 9.

Your input is most appreciated by this inexperienced LR shooter. Thanks.

Bill

My Sako Finnlite in 22-250 has a 14 twist and I shoot 55gr Hornaday ballistic tips and it is sub moa at 100yrds. For what you want to shoot I would go with the 12 twist for the 55gr and under, the 9 twist would be for heavier bullets.

I found a pretty good deal on a used Savage Model 12 VLP in 22-250 tonight on the web. I will need to make a call in the AM to find out some of the particulars including twist rate.

I plan on shooting 50 and 55 grain bullets and reloading in the very near future. It will hopefully be used in the next few years dusting off some pdogs. I don't see myself shooting any of the higher grain bullets through this rifle for any sort of matches. So, what twist rate should I be looking at? It seems like most of the Savage 22-250's come in a 12 twist except the VLP that also comes in a 1 in 9.

Your input is most appreciated by this inexperienced LR shooter. Thanks.

Bill

the rifle probably has the 12 twist barrel, but they do offer a 9 twist as an option. Either one will stabalize any 55 grain bullet out there with no problem. The 12 twist is good for about .29 in the B/C max (maybe .30). I notice that my groups opened up quite a bit when I tried the Sierra 60 grain bullets, but on the otherhand I also did no serious load development with them. I still got 5/8th's groups out of them. I normally shoot the Sierra #1365 bullet in the 12 twist barrels. It seems to be a near perfect match for a 12 twist.

My goto load with the Sierra bullet is 35.5 grains of IMR 3031 (I'm using cans that are old lot stuff) for slightly under 3600fps. I have shot the same bullet with 36.5 grains, and saw little increase in velocity and more recoil. These loads have worked well in three Savage 22-250's, and will usually print in the low threes and mid twos without any wind. I couldn't get 2015 to shoot nearly as well, and they are very similar powders. AA270 and AA2495 are on my list to try this summer.
gary

Thanks to both of you. I'm to make a phone call right now and will post my findings a little later.

Bill

The gun I was interested in was at A Cabela's down in Texas, listed on Guns International. It was sold a week ago but had not been taken off the website yet. The search continues. I'm going to start a new post on a slightly fifferent topic re/some different Savage models. Thanks again for your input.

Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.