Twist rate 8.5 or 9 "

Iron Worker

Building a 7mm wsm I want to shoot 140gr to Berger 180 Gr VLD Berger says 9" twist will work with their 180 gr VLD. But other shooters use 8.5 " What difference does .5 make in that bullets flight ?

I would agree that a 9 twist is adequate for most shooting. I you were going to shoot at extreme ranges and use the 180's, you might want the 8 1/2 to stabilize the bullet better. This probably wouldn't be necessary at under 1000 yds.....Rich

I won't be making any 1000 yd shots on game. My rifle was a Mod 70 Classic in 270 WSM with a Factory bbl that threw bullets once the bbl was hot. ( 3 shots and bbl was hot) I'm now having a Krieger 9"twist 26" #4 contour chambered in 7mmWSM installed. Rifle would of been ok for a once a season deer rifle. But I shoot all the time.

Ironworker,

The difference between a 1x9" and a 1x8.5" is virtually (and may be, literally) non-existent, depending on the method of manufacture. It's not at all uncommon for buttoned barrels to vary by a half inch either way, so that 9" twist could very well be an 8.5" in reality, or even a 9.5". Cut rifled barrels tend to be a good bit more consistent in this regard, but both methods can produce good barrels, and I'm not knockign the buttoned variety. My point is, given a minor difference like this, I'd tend to go with the faster. A bit of extra spin will very rarely cause you any problem, while not enough will be a major pain in the arse every time.

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA

I would go with the 9 twist. Not as hard on the bullets, a little less pressure, and still is plenty to get a 180 brger to fly well.

aroshtr

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.