Tupperware bedding.

johnny k.

Hello everyone, haven't been on this board long but I thoroughly enjoy what I see so far.
I have a Savage 110 in .223 that I would like to bed the action on. Is it possible to bed the "tupperware" fiberglass stocks that come on these rifles. I would like to "implant" some stainless steel 1/4" or 3/8" rods in the forearm to stiffen it also. Question is: is it possible to bed these stocks and if so what seems to work best? Acraglass, Marine Tex, JB Weld or what? TIA, Johnny K.

Acraglass workt on my Fugly stockt 223.Was thinking of putting rods in the forearm to help stiffen it too but was advised to just glass in the blocks with lead shot as a filler....it workt great.Its still fugly but is stiff enough to shoot off the bipods on a hot summer day.
You will want to ruffen up and drill some small holes in the stock to hold the glass in place though.

If it's a plastic stock, you'll have to drill holes at opposite angles from each other all over the place to mechanically lock the bedding compound into it, same with the lead shot/epoxy mix. I used JB Industro Weld to do my Daughter's M7 synthetic. It's thinner than most epoxy bedding mixtures, but helps to work it down into the holes with a toothpick that way though. After it sets up a few minutes and won't run I coat the rest and set the action in there. I did roughen all the surfaces up with paper, but the holes I drilled all over are really what is helping the less than desirable bond to the oily plastic stock stay put. I'm happy with it, happy as one can be with the cheap thing anyhow.

123191.JPG

Thanks for the quick response guys. I am on it now. Yes, it is a fugly stock but I'm gonna put some paint onner as soon as the bedding material dries. I have found a textured paint available at Wal-Mart for about $5.00 a can. It comes in several colors (Sandstone, Emerald Green, etc.) and turns your stock into something interesting. Did an earlier 110FP that I had in 7mm RM and it turned out good. Only thing, you need to have a rough beard to shoot the heavy recoiling rifles. I will post some pics soon as I get stock done. Again, thanks! Johnny K.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.