Tungsten Waterfowl Loads

Orange Dust

It all started with Hevi Shot. We started handloading the stuff when it was cheap. BB's in a 10 ga would kill birds stupid far. A lot has happened since then, and tungsten shot has gotten heavier, and much more expensive. We tried bismuth with no real improvement over steel. Less cripples, but no real improvement in range. Then came the 15 and 18gm tungsten. 20ga will easily out perform a 3-1/2" 12ga shooting any steel load and eyes were opened. Now we are going the other way and working with the 28ga and .410 using 15gm tungsten. Becomes more affordable as payload diminishes. May take some time to find the perfect load, but I think the 28ga will end up being the ticket in rice fields, and the .410 may just may be plenty in the woods. Question is: is anyone here working on this too? Would like to share notes this season.

Have you tried the 15gm? I'm thinking 7's for the 410 and a size or two larger for the 28. We kill as many geese as ducks in the open

Nope, it's the 18g/cc

This will be the 3rd or 4th season using it in the 28ga and 2nd or 3rd using it in the 410.

I started us off with 54lbs of tungsten spheres, I don't know where they buy it now or the cost. I will have to remember to ask next I am in the blind with guy that loads it all.

Seen the #9s take down Greaters as well, it's amazing and at reasonable distances, you're not picking shot out of the meat.

1/2oz in the 410 and I think they are 2 1/2" and 2 3/4" 5/8oz in the 28ga.

I am barely good enough with the 28ga, I don't want to even attempt the 410.
There is a secret to the 410. Folks think with the small pattern they must be careful and aim it. Nothing could be further from the truth. You have to be aggressive shooting it. If you have good form and follow through, shoot it exactly like a 12ga. That is the secret to winning competitions and killing birds. They are just bullets, put them in the gun and shoot them. Forget the shells are smaller, forget they have 1/2 oz of shot, just put them in the gun and shoot them. All in your head, I promise. My average with a 410 was almost 98 for the last season I shot skeet in competition. Go shoot some clays with lead and you will see what I am talking about. There is a reason they call the 410 the idiot stick. Don't get frustrated and become one.

I shoot 1 7/8 oz of 18g/cc TSS. Blend of #4 and #5 pellets. Dropped sandhill cranes at 130+ yards. Dead on impact. Don't let the cranes know I'm so unethical!!!

I shoot 1 7/8 oz of 18g/cc TSS. Blend of #4 and #5 pellets. Dropped sandhill cranes at 130+ yards. Dead on impact. Don't let the cranes know I'm so unethical!!!
I believe you. We have killed enough Canadas at that range with Tungsten to know. Takes practice to hold over and in front. At those ranges and beyond you have to hold over them as much as leading them. Sounds crazy, but you get the hang of it pretty quick shooting at wads of Snows. Sandhills are the toughest bird I've ever tried to put down (seen but never shot a wild Swan). Impressive. I would have thought larger shot. I know it takes #2 or BB's in 12gm to kill Canadas that far, and they won't kill a Sandhill nearly that far. Smaller body with more bone, cripples. Something most folks don't know is how Tungsten patterns hold together at long range. I've had handloads that patterned 60% in a 30" circle @100yds. Lethal stuff for sure. Have you ever tried the 15gm stuff? I'm thinking shot sizes between the two for geese. Ducks, #6 or 7???

I shot a couple cranes last fall with 1 3/4oz #6 15g/cc pellets. They seem to be lethal out to a maximum of ~ 90-95yds on Sandhills.

Whereas we've killed Sandhills with #6 18g/cc TSS pellets out to 105yds. The 18g/cc kill range is definitely extended compared to the 15g/cc pellets.

I shot a couple cranes last fall with 1 3/4oz #6 15g/cc pellets. They seem to be lethal out to a maximum of ~ 90-95yds on Sandhills.

Whereas we've killed Sandhills with #6 18g/cc TSS pellets out to 105yds. The 18g/cc kill range is definitely extended compared to the 15g/cc pellets.
Wish I had the opportunity to hunt them more. Great on the table "Ribeye of the Sky"