What is your pet loads for waterfowl?

For the last 10 or so years I've used Federal Blue box BB in either 1 1/4 or 1 1/8.

Recently, I've switched to Boss Bismuth #4 in 1 1/2. I've been extremely happy with this new shell, it's completely knocking birds out. I have noticed the number of cripples reduce greatly!

For the last 10 or so years I've used Federal Blue box BB in either 1 1/4 or 1 1/8.

Recently, I've switched to Boss Bismuth #4 in 1 1/2. I've been extremely happy with this new shell, it's completely knocking birds out. I have noticed the number of cripples reduce greatly!

We have found the boss copper plated busimuth shot too soft lots of fragments in the skin of our birds especially late season geese.

I have always just bought whatever kind of steel was available for years and years, last year I finally decided to pattern my gun, So I decided to shoot about 20 different loads through first a modified then a Full factory choke (full choke was supperior across all loads) in my Browning Maxus. After all the pellets were counted and things like pattern density and uniform pattern coverage were calculated Fiocchi Golden Goose 3.5'' 1 5/8oz #1 shot- was the clear winner in my gun.
At 40 yards the only load with more pellets was a #4 3.5 Remington load But there were large holes in the pattern, and I think #1 shot has a lot more energy than #4. I am lucky the ammo my gun likes relatively inexpensive, so now I have two cases.:)
As a side note I didn't shoot any Hevi-shot as I am not rich!
On one of my last trips out I dropped a giant Canada at about 45 yards, didn't even twitch that tells me I should have patterned my gun long ago...
Anything fiocchi makes is golden.
The key is patterning your gun..
That's why I love the Italian guns..the shims allow for the best possible patterns along with the correct choke…

For years I've shot cases of the $9.99 remmington steels 2 3/4 #2 from Walmart … they are killers on ducks

Last year Rodgers had a close out special on federal heavy weight shot shells. I bought a pallet of 10 gauge 2oz of 7s at 1300 fps. 15g density. According to federal heavy weight 7s have more energy at 50 yards than a lead 5 at 40 yards. I have seen 100s of clean ethical kills over 100 yards on ducks and geese. I am a true believer in heavy weight and tss shot. I understand you do not need a 10 ga to hunt ducks and geese. Once you shoot HW or TSS on waterfowl it's hard to shoot anything else. Yes it's that much better than lead.
that's pretty awesome! I know that there no kill like overkill.. I bet that would be the poison pill for the flocks of snow's that just won't drop the last 10 yards. But dang I just bought a box of 5 rounds of TSS for my boy's 20 ga for next springs turkey hunt and I thought I was gunna have to sell some plasma. ;)

50gr STEEL, sam1, 1 3/8oz of copperhead bb's in a federal 10ga hull. 1600fps or so on ducks, geese, pheasants, rabbits, squirrels, turkeys, and even got a coyote with that load this year. I used to load special for each, but had trouble changing my lead and found it so much easier to shoot the same load all the time. Plus, I dont have to argue about who got the banded goose...just find a pellet. Copper? My bird.
20181218_072130.jpg
20181219_065931.jpg
20181217_065644.jpg
20181219_065926.jpg
20181218_081456.jpg
20181216_072136.jpg
20181211_221337.jpg
20211222_173910.jpg
20211105_174914.jpg
20211118_143741.jpg

Last edited:
I've been shooting 28 gauge #4 Hevi-Shot Bismuth for ducks the last two seasons. Drops them just as well as my 3" 12 gauge and a lot more fun to carry and shoot. I hunt mostly for woodies and mallards in timber with most shots inside of 40 yards.
Was thinking of taking my 1100 28 ga.along next year what choke do u favor.

50gr STEEL, sam1, 1 3/8oz of copperhead bb's in a federal 10ga hull. 1600fps or so on ducks, geese, pheasants, rabbits, squirrels, turkeys, and even got a coyote with that load this year. I used to load special for each, but had trouble changing my lead and found it so much easier to shoot the same load all the time. Plus, I dont have to argue about who got the banded goose...just find a pellet. Copper? My bird.View attachment 332104View attachment 332105View attachment 332106View attachment 332107View attachment 332108View attachment 332109View attachment 332110View attachment 332111View attachment 332112View attachment 332114
What make is your waterfowl widowmaker ten gage.been on the look out for a double 10.

What make is your waterfowl widowmaker ten gage.been on the look out for a double 10.
It's a zabala. Imported by Richardson arms. Or maybe it was Richland. Regardless They are all basically the same Guns, just different Names stamped on em. I have 2. One is cut to 26", backbored, and cones lengthened. Other is just cut back 2" for i/c chokes and cones reamed.

Just get one and have a bit of work done. They are great once you lop off some barrel and ream the ridiculous awful forcing "cones" out. More like a ridge than a cone. You can make them pretty too as they have decent wood that's basically just shot with brown varnish. But mine get beat up all fall so I dont care. I'd originally wanted screw in chokes, but the chopped off barrels shoot as good as I'll ever get.

Was thinking of taking my 1100 28 ga.along next year what choke do u favor.
I'd run a IC in that 1100

In my stack gun Charles Daly 28 I have IC and Mod. I'd prefer it to be skeet and Mod but probably will not change it as it works just fine as is.

Last year Rodgers had a close out special on federal heavy weight shot shells. I bought a pallet of 10 gauge 2oz of 7s at 1300 fps. 15g density. According to federal heavy weight 7s have more energy at 50 yards than a lead 5 at 40 yards. I have seen 100s of clean ethical kills over 100 yards on ducks and geese. I am a true believer in heavy weight and tss shot. I understand you do not need a 10 ga to hunt ducks and geese. Once you shoot HW or TSS on waterfowl it's hard to shoot anything else. Yes it's that much better than lead.
I totally agree with you I hammer birds with the slow moving heavy loads, everyone these days hype about the fast 1650 plus and way under estimate the heavy loads.

I totally agree with you I hammer birds with the slow moving heavy loads, everyone these days hype about the fast 1650 plus and way under estimate the heavy
Patterns are better with lower velocity loads. Look at the velocity of Turkey loads. Guys are hammering birds at 60 plus yards with tss9s