pump for waterfowl

870 Hands down.I have 2 of them that I bought back in 1976. One for me one for my dad both work great.Clean them once a season and keep on going.
I got a used 1980's era 870 magnum, that thing is like the terminator just keeps coming back for more, thousands and thousands of rounds, I have had the action rusted shut kick started the thing and killed 26 snow geese that morning, its a work of art, but it is all steel and wood like a gun should be, never had a misfire. I had got a new 870 3.5'' couple years back and sold it in disgust half plastic and I couldn't get it to run no matter what I did. The new remington pump that is plastic dipped is a joke too, buddy of mine had one and wore it out in two years. If you want a Remmy get the Versa-max they blatantly ripped off benelli for there rotating bolt and military M4 duel gas piston design, that said its a fantastic shotgun. Super soft shooting fast and reliable. Why Benelli didn't release the M4 in a civilian legal sportsman style I will never know.
If you want a pump get the nova, or a late 70's early 80's 870!

I am purchasing the new for 2019 Remington V3 Waterfowl Pro, this is a semi-auto, I have been hunting with a Mossberg pump and want to upgrade to a Semi-auto. What I like about it, you get a Cerakote receiver and barrel, three extended chokes and a sling. They claim the V3 is the softest recoil for a semi-auto. I know I am tired of the pump.

Have run thousands of rounds thru an 870 in Heavy Metal 3gun competition and have used Benelli and 1100s customized for limited and open class! Both run but 1100 recoils much less and with the match volume that is a concern....both require freq cleaning. 870 can take tons of abuse and cont to run!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.