What is your pet loads for waterfowl?

I have always just bought whatever kind of steel was available for years and years, last year I finally decided to pattern my gun, So I decided to shoot about 20 different loads through first a modified then a Full factory choke (full choke was supperior across all loads) in my Browning Maxus. After all the pellets were counted and things like pattern density and uniform pattern coverage were calculated Fiocchi Golden Goose 3.5'' 1 5/8oz #1 shot- was the clear winner in my gun.
At 40 yards the only load with more pellets was a #4 3.5 Remington load But there were large holes in the pattern, and I think #1 shot has a lot more energy than #4. I am lucky the ammo my gun likes relatively inexpensive, so now I have two cases.:)
As a side note I didn't shoot any Hevi-shot as I am not rich!
On one of my last trips out I dropped a giant Canada at about 45 yards, didn't even twitch that tells me I should have patterned my gun long ago...
I load my own and in my 10ga I load bbbx1s 1 1/2 oz at 1450 fps and for my 12 gauge I like 1 3/16 oz of b shot or 1s at 1550fps for ducks some will say that you don't need that big shot, but when alot of your shots are 40 plus yards away you don't have to chase as many cripples and that big will killem just as good as smaller shot at close range to this is all steel shot and an improved cylinder choke in both guns

Last year Rodgers had a close out special on federal heavy weight shot shells. I bought a pallet of 10 gauge 2oz of 7s at 1300 fps. 15g density. According to federal heavy weight 7s have more energy at 50 yards than a lead 5 at 40 yards. I have seen 100s of clean ethical kills over 100 yards on ducks and geese. I am a true believer in heavy weight and tss shot. I understand you do not need a 10 ga to hunt ducks and geese. Once you shoot HW or TSS on waterfowl it's hard to shoot anything else. Yes it's that much better than lead.
I remember several years back Rogers had a bunch of Fed heavyweight waterfowl #2 and #4 loads they were discontinuing cheap. I bought 3-4 cases for goose hunting and the #4 shot was legit lethal at over 100 yards. The #2's probably 150+. Those loads were crazy. If you had only ever shot steel shot, it would be like going from a bicycle to a Ferrari.

3 inch #2's. I think keeping with the same velocity/fps is most important. I have shot them all but generally for a 12 it's 3 inch #2 at 1550. With the price/availability of steel these days I'll shoot whatever I can get my hands on. That being said, there are shells I prefer. But in reality, as long as you can get them close and the gun goes bang, than it really doesn't matter which brand is comming out the end of my shotgun.

Recent Posts