TSX v. Etip V. GMX

We shot a buck each year the last 2 years with the 150 grain ETip out of my .308. Mine at 80 yards and the other at 280 yards. Bullets worked great at modest velocity of the .308. I only get about 2730 fps with 45.5 grains of Varget. Plan on trying the cfe223 see if I can get another 100 fps. I've had some trouble with my zero and groups but I think that had to do more with the *** scope I have than anything else particularly if I try to dial elevation and wind holds. It would fail a box test miserably. It's replacement should be here soon. Here's a few posts from another forum:

I'm more than happy with him though 20" wide 3X4. Once again the 150 grain Etips out of my .308 worked perfect. Bullet entered at base of neck scrambled the lungs busted up the large bone in the top of the front leg and came to rest under the offside hide. Other than the plastic tip the bullet lost no weight and mushroomed flawlessly. Backstrap tastes so much better than tag soup.

DavesDeerWeb-0030.jpg

DavesDeerWeb-0028.jpg

DavesDeerEtip-6262-2.jpg

Buddy got his first ever California buck. I told him not to expect ones this nice on a regular basis. For anyone who's curious the lead free Nosler E-tips worked fantastic. He was shooting a load out of my .308 that launches the 150 grain E-tips at 2750fps, not exactly a magnum load :l At 280 yards it made absolute mush out of this deer's chest cavity. I'd say it's plenty of medicine for anything walking around California. The deer was somewhere in the 250 lbs. range, we each had 80-90lbs. packs on the way out. I'm beat but going to have some backstraps soon enough!

The key tactic: neither of us has shaved in 3 weeks :l

image.php

image.php

Decided to take the .308 out and do a water jug test with the 150 grain ETips. My el cheapo scope will not hold zero and I had to adjust the stupid thing AGAIN :mad: A Nikon Monarch will be replacing this one soon. Shot the steel at 300 yards and the jugs at 200. Bullet starts at around 2750 fps. out of my .308 so in an '06 or 300 Win Mag you could add a few more yards. Impact velocity should have been right around 2400 fps and the bullet penetrated 4 jugs and came to rest in the 5th. Exact same load and rifle dumped last year's buck at 280 yards. Won't be doing any more dial ups for distance with the current scope, got her on at 200 and the first hashmark is just about perfect at 300. Wish the group was smaller but I'll take that at 300 yards laying in the dirt shooting off a bipod. A deer or pig won't know the difference.

ETips-0451.jpg

First 3 jugs
ETips-0452.jpg

Other than the poly tip it's 100% weight retention
ETips-0459.jpg

Like i posted earlier im no fan or the tsx. I did shoot a couple deer with the etips though and they seemed to perform much better. Both deer were shot with one of my 7mags using the 140 etip and both deer were @250-300 yards and both were dead on the spot. .

Just picked up some H4895 to do some reduced loads for my kids to shoot. Think I'll do some penetration tests with the lower velocity loads to see what the ETips do. I've read the rotations are lower with a low velocity load compared to a high velocity load that has bled off velocity over distance but it should still be fun.

A reduced load of H4895 and the 110gr VMax out of the .308 ought to be a cream puff.

I had a lot of accuracy problems with the 90 gr. Etips in a Youth 700 rem 243. They were so bad I called Nosler and they weren't interested in talking about it. Said my 9 1/4 in. twist was wrong for that bullet. I mean man I couldn't keep them on a sheet of note book paper at 100 yds. Didn't have any trouble with the 80 gr. TTSX. Shot 1/2 in groups at 100. Still don't know what the problems were.

A week ago.I killed a bull caribou @300 yards . 130 gr TSX 6.5 mm from.my 18.6" barreled Ruger M77 Mk2 Hawkeye. M.v is 2775 fps pushed by 43.5 gr RL17. Bullets are tumbled in Hexagonal Boron Nitride. Cleaned the hollow points out with a clothes pin. Bullet entered neck along side the windpipe. Made a quarter size hole thru a rib at the front of the chest. Clipped an artery off the top of the heart, wrecked both.lungs. went thru the stomach and other internal matter. Exited alongside the nutsack. Penetration was around 45" . . Bull swung around to run and crumpled within 20' of where the bullet hit him.
This is very normal performance from TSX bullets for me.

He's not much in the horn department. But he wasn't too much in the white cape dept either and still had his rack. Wasn't rutty stinky either, so he will be good eating. Which is what I was after

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.