TSX or partition?

What I have noticed is that ALL hunting bullets work great when they hit the vitals. Try the TSX since they were free, they are some of the best bullets on the market.

I would not worry too much about which bullet it is as much as getting your boy comfortable with the gun and recoil to be able to make a good shot on deer.

Good luck.

-Erik

I agree that either will do fine in the 243, while I personally prefer the Nosler line of bullets, because it seems that in all of my rifles, the Noslers are the most accurate.

At the tender age of 6, you are asking a lot if you expect him to handle any more recoil than a 22mag. Even a 410 shotgun is too much for most 6 year olds, which is why most states won't let a kid start hunting until much later so game doesn't get unnecessarily wounded. If he missed 3 deer, maybe that is telling you something. As you have him practice, make sure and use the lightest loads/bullets available as even in a .243, all loads are not created equal. My son killed a 275lb mule deer at 325 yards at the age of 12 using a .243 with 95 grain partitions, and it performed perfectly. So if you are hunting 160 lb whitetails I am sure that a .243 shooting anything that will hold together on impact up to 200 yards will be fine. If you care at all about the game you are shooting at, make sure the gun fits your boy, he has had a ton of practice, and that if he doesn't seem completely comfortable when he is on the gun, don't let him pull that trigger. He will be bigger soon enough and if you instill bad habits(flinching) then it will be much harder to fix than you realize, as I've been there with my oldest son.

Put a break on the rifle. Then put ear plugs in his ears and ear muffs over the ear plugs. I think your best chance at getting him to shoot is take away all of the discomfort. At 6yrs old my son wouldn't even shoot the .22. The only thing he liked to shoot was the BB gun. At 13yrs now, he's good with anything as long as it doesn't hurt. I let him shoot a 30-378 with a break on it last summer. He liked it. I had to convince him that it would not kick before we would do it. I think it is a rare little guy that is not sensitive to the noise and recoil. Hand a high powered rifle to an adult man that has never pulled the trigger and see how nervous he gets.

Good luck

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.