Trying to pick right scope for my needs.

forest

Hi, could anyone give me advice on scopes please, I am new to this site so hope to get some help here. I have been hunting from in and around 100-250yards and not much more. Mostly on vermin the last 15years. I am now hoping for bigger game and may go as far as 400yards. I also would like to try 800-1000yards at steel plates to see what I am capable of.
I have been looking at the Schmidt and Bender pm11/Lp or Night force scopes, in around 4x16x50 , 3x12x50, or 3x20x50 in the Schmidt. What sort of mag do you guys think would suit my needs best? I don't think I will ever be trying any shots at game over 400-500 yards as that I feel my be my limit until I improve a lot more. Also could you also give advice on the best mounts you would use for the scope.

I have nxs 2.5-10x 42 on my light gun ( 300wsm medium range gun) I love it. Its intended use is possible close range in woods or brush, doesn't mean you are limited to shorter range on big game or steel. I have nxs 5.5-22x56 on .338 rum. Intended use big game long range mostly wide open shots. I have a 25-06 heavy gun that is a dedicated ground hog -target shooting it has a 6.5-20 burris on it and I wish it had more magnification, but it is an mostly open range gun smaller targets. So magnification depends on your terrain, target size, distance and time allotted for shots. (Calling predators or moving targets).

Hi thanks it will be for small deer mostly, do you think with a 14 or 16 mag I could hit steel say at 1000yards if tried? I know it depends on the guy behind the scope but a target say 10inx10? Or would I need more mag?
The scopes main use will always be deer or large vermin. Its chambered in .243.

Yes, you could hit 10" steel with one in that mag range. I feel I could with my 10 power but haven't tried yet. (Newer scope) Just have to center crosshairs on target with less magnification. The biggest challenge is adjusting for bullet drop. If you dial up on the turret like me, less of an issue if you relly on reticle ( milldots, bdc, moar, or something similar) may be more of an issue. My opinion.

Thanks a lot for that , I am new to this but have been hunting over 15 years starting to take it more serous now so saving for a scope with good glass, I have got a rem 700 model rifle so hope when save enough have a good stock and scope on it many thanks.

A lot of good info on this site. I read about daily and learn something almost every time. Not saying EVERYTHING you'll read on here take to heart.... Most is great info though!

I've shot 3 bull elks from 600 to 750 yards with NF 3.5-15 with no problem. plenty of power to focus in!!!

Lets say if I had a choice between a NF 3 -15 or 5.5 - 22, then it would be the latter since You most folks never complain about having a bit more magnification. Also, they weigh about the same, which is why I went with the 5.5. - 22.

None of those are "Wrong" choices. In a hunting scope Too much on the low end can be worse than not enough on the high end. FOV can be everything on something close and moving. Over the years a 5.5-6 on the low end has cost me a couple of animals and 16-20 has always been enough for big game on the high end. Since it is a .243 and your do everything as well as possible this might be a great time to choose something like a March 3-24 x52. Low power for deer that may be close and high power for steel and varmints. Much lighter that what you are looking at and may pair better with the gun. Glass will be between the NF and SB. Just something to add to your list to consider, Like I said none of your choices are "Wrong".