What moa scope base is right for my rifle?

lv2hunt

Hello,

What would you go with? I have read extensively on this topic and am now more confused than when I started. I am trying to figure out what moa scope base to put on my new Savage 112 .338 Lapua. I plan on using a Farrell base and rings, they offer bases in 0, 10, 20, 30, and 40 moa base for this rifle and I prefer to use a 100 or 200 yard zero if possible. I am also wondering what height rings I should go with for a 56 mm scope?

I plan on working up loads using 300 grain Berger's, 300 grain SMK's and either Retumbo or H-1000 powder. The scope I intend on using is a Nightforce SHV 5-20x56 or similar quality high end scope. My max effective range that I am comfortable with is currently right at about a 1000 yards but my personal goal is to achieve 1760 yards / 1 Mile or better. Please advise.

Thanks,
lv2hunt

Hello,

What would you go with? I have read extensively on this topic and am now more confused than when I started. I am trying to figure out what moa scope base to put on my new Savage 112 .338 Lapua. I plan on using a Farrell base and rings, they offer bases in 0, 10, 20, 30, and 40 moa base for this rifle and I prefer to use a 100 or 200 yard zero if possible. I am also wondering what height rings I should go with for a 56 mm scope?

I plan on working up loads using 300 grain Berger's, 300 grain SMK's and either Retumbo or H-1000 powder. The scope I intend on using is a Nightforce SHV 5-20x56 or similar quality high end scope. My max effective range that I am comfortable with is currently right at about a 1000 yards but my personal goal is to achieve 1760 yards / 1 Mile or better. Please advise.

Thanks,
lv2hunt

You need around 65.5 MOA of total elevation at sea level. Your scope has 80 MOA of total elevation, therefore if you cut the 80 in half to 40 MOA and subtract another 30 MOA with a base, you should be able to get to a mile with a 100-200 yard zero and have 70 MOA of useful elevation. A 40 MOA base would be danger close to bottoming out if you tried to get a 100-200 yard zero.

30 moa, glad I asked! What ring height would you recommend for this set up? Thanks brentc for replying!

Anyone else want to chime in on the base and rings discussion I would greatly appreciate it, as I would like to order them soon but want to get it right the first time!

Thanks,
Lv2hunt

I'm inclined to say that the Farrell high ring would work for you, however, I'm not very familiar with Farrell equipment. My only question would be the base height with a 30MOA forward slant.

Hello,

I can't find any dimensions on their website about the 30 moa scope base height or slant, I will have to call. I did find these dimensions on their website for their rings. If I am understanding the given information correctly and if my math is correct I think I would need the extra high rings for a 56 mm objective or high rings for a 50 mm objective correct?

RING HEIGHTS - 1" and 30 mm ( From the Top of the base to the center line of the tube. )
LOW = 0.735" / 18.699 mm
STANDARD = 0.835" / 21.209 mm
MEDIUM = 0.935" /23.749 mm
HIGH = 1.035" / 26.289 mm
EX-HIGH = 1.235" / 31.369 mm

50 mm objective cl=25 (Would need the high rings)
56 mm objective cl=28 (Would need the extra high rings)

Thanks,
lv2hunt

Last edited:
FWIW I run medium leupold mark 4 rings on a 60mm obj w/ a 20moa rail and a heavy varmint or m24 barrel. I would think you'd need either med or high. If you're dead set on ferrells talk to them. They may send you both and just resend what you don't need.

Or what I did was found a friend w/ some extras laying around to gauge the height I needed.

Hello,

I can't find any dimensions on their website about the 30 moa scope base height or slant, I will have to call. I did find these dimensions on their website for their rings. If I am understanding the given information correctly and if my math is correct I think I would need the extra high rings for a 56 mm objective or high rings for a 50 mm objective correct?

RING HEIGHTS - 1" and 30 mm ( From the Top of the base to the center line of the tube. )
LOW = 0.735" / 18.699 mm
STANDARD = 0.835" / 21.209 mm
MEDIUM = 0.935" /23.749 mm
HIGH = 1.035" / 26.289 mm
EX-HIGH = 1.235" / 31.369 mm

50 mm objective cl=25 (Would need the high rings)
56 mm objective cl=28 (Would need the extra high rings)

Thanks,
lv2hunt

I could be wrong, but believe you do not need the extra high rings for a 56mm bell using a 30 moa base. Before you purchase check and double check.

Yes, your all correct. I called Farrell today and they told me I could get away with the medium rings and at most the high for the 30 moa base and 56mm objective. Thanks to all for the replies.

Lv2hunt

The mediums is just what I thought. Did not want to say it out load for the fact that I wasn't sure and did not check.

The mediums is just what I thought. Did not want to say it out load for the fact that I wasn't sure and did not check.

I didn't want to say Med wholeheartedly, but as I said I'm running medium leupolds on a target gun w/ a telephone pole barrel and a 60mm bell w/ 20moa cant. Other than an AR (and my f-class gun) I've never seen nor had the need for anything more than low rings.

I'm just glad we all helped to avoid an expense and minor inconvenience. That's why I scower the threads here.

I didn't want to say Med wholeheartedly, but as I said I'm running medium leupolds on a target gun w/ a telephone pole barrel and a 60mm bell w/ 20moa cant. Other than an AR (and my f-class gun) I've never seen nor had the need for anything more than low rings.

I'm just glad we all helped to avoid an expense and minor inconvenience. That's why I scower the threads here.

:) gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.