trying to pick a long range caliber

mtnman375

im trying to make up my mind i want to build this rifle on a montana 1999 action or mod 70 action with a mcmillan a3 sporter or a a5 and a 28 or 30in lilja bbl i just cant make up my mind on the caliber i want some thing that will push light bullets realy fast and still be able to shoot bergers my top 5 starting first to last 7mm stw 6.5 stw 7mm-300win 7mm rum and the good old 264 wim mag so thats what im thinking i was hopein i could get some input on the pros and cons of one vs the other the idea is barnes out 600 maybe and bergers out a 1000 and for targets thanks for any input or ideas

Of the calibers you listed the most economical ($$$) and, IMO, your best option would be to go with a 7mmSTW, and shoot some 160gr Nosler Accubonds from 100-1000. And a 26" barrel. That's what I do. But I'm fixing to start shooting the 168gr Long Range Accubonds, b/c I am sighted in for the 7mm 168gr Nosler Custom Comps.

im trying to make up my mind i want to build this rifle on a montana 1999 action or mod 70 action with a mcmillan a3 sporter or a a5 and a 28 or 30in lilja bbl i just cant make up my mind on the caliber i want some thing that will push light bullets realy fast and still be able to shoot bergers my top 5 starting first to last 7mm stw 6.5 stw 7mm-300win 7mm rum and the good old 264 wim mag so thats what im thinking i was hopein i could get some input on the pros and cons of one vs the other the idea is barnes out 600 maybe and bergers out a 1000 and for targets thanks for any input or ideas
The 7mm STW is definitely right up your alley.

The .264wm is a great choice as well.

To push either the 7mm Faster than the STW can do, or the 6.5 faster than the .264wm will you are going to be getting into calibers that are very much going to eat barrels for you.

If barrel life simply isn't an issue then either a 6.5x300wm or 6.5STW would be the ultimate .264/6.5's for you.

I personally love the 7mm STW and .264wm and see no reason to push either round any faster than those two calibers do.

26-28" will get you peak performance from the .264wm and 29-30" will get you the most out of the 7mm STW.

I cant see any reson that the rum would not do everything you would want. It would shoot the barrel off with light bullets and should do really nice if you decide to slow it up a shade with the 180 berger.

i am putting together a 7-300 win currently and planning to shoot the 180 berger at about 3150 or so. if you do a search on the 7-300 win or the 7 practical you will find a bunch of info.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts