Trying to get smart boar hog

Hogs have a keen sense of smell, the reason you can draw them in from quite a way away.

There eyesight is horrible, their hearing is as good as their nose. They are hard to fool once they are onto you.

We plumbed my dad's washer so it would quit dumping into the septic system, this is what my dad found the next morning after we ran the hose out into the yard. They came over a mile from their stomping ground and did this.

Coincidence, possibly, but they only came back when they washed clothes. We finally put in a lateral line system and they haven't been back since.

View attachment 541345View attachment 541346View attachment 541347View attachment 541348
Dang, organic rototillers!

One thing a big boar can't resist is a sow in heat. Find someone who raises hogs and get the bedding from one of their sow pens that's in heat. Dump it 10 yards away from the feeder. It's worked for us before.

Also try hunting with a partner. Walk in together very closely. Have your partner leave the stand and not be super quiet about leaving. Sometimes they can't count the number of humans that walked in 😉

Try setting your feeder to go off at noon only.

Get as far away from the feeder as you can possibly get and still make a shot.

Add 2 sections of ladder to your tree stand and get as high as Willie Nelson on a cross country flight!

Those big boars are not just smart but they are intelligent! They learn quickly and are able to solve problems. I've heard they are the 5th smartest animal species behind humans, great apes, dolphins and dogs. I'd argue they are tied for 4th with dogs.

A big boar is probably the most intelligent game animal on this continent. They don't go into "rut" and make mistakes like a deer or elk will.

Have fun and enjoy actually hunting an individual animal!

I've got a lone boar hog that I cannot get to come in consistently. I've been after him going on three years now. He shows up 1-3 times a week. One week he's there three random nights and another week he might show up once or twice. He is nocturnal year round. If I put out some crushed sugar beats or something similar and he finds it, he will come back to it but it's never the same time and sometimes not the next day. I've tried trapping him but he's wise to the trap as I'm sure other neighbors have traps as well. I've sat many nights trying to get him. He either won't come or knows I am there and he will show up 30 min to an hour after I leave. Does anyone have any suggestions I can try to get him coming in reliably? I have also tried soured corn, pig jam, jello mix, and several other off the shelf products. I will tip my hat to him as he didn't get as big and old as he is by being dumb.

Hello C_Tex 1986
I live in a middle west of Argentina in a Dairy ranch
We plant a lot of corn for silage and grain so the hogs eat like a restaurant, is imposible to get them with some kind of food.
the only thing that works is a place with water and a post with a good dose of burnt oil from the tractors mixed with some fuel (gas oil )
they came eery night to scratch them intuit post
I'm sure you would find at what hour they came
1707302854510.png

Hello C_Tex 1986
I live in a middle west of Argentina in a Dairy ranch
We plant a lot of corn for silage and grain so the hogs eat like a restaurant, is imposible to get them with some kind of food.
the only thing that works is a place with water and a post with a good dose of burnt oil from the tractors mixed with some fuel (gas oil )
they came eery night to scratch them intuit post
I'm sure you would find at what hour they came
View attachment 541425
GOOD point, gtrotz, creosote works real good too..

A short panel cut in half with the vertical bars bent inward will stop the jumping out, you have to go slow setting them up, leave his most common egress open until you are ready to spring the trap. It will give you enough time to roll in a get him before he figures out he's been trapped and the panic sets in. I recommend a shot gun and heavy loads of #4 buck. He'll lose his mind, just make sure you use good heavy galvanized electric fence wire to tie everything together and then you may still end up with a rodeo. I killed all 5 of those pigs but 2 broke the panels apart directly in front of me, shot both pigs on the exit and both died in the yard and one from the pen made it to the trees behind the pen before expiring. It got a little exciting.
I'd love to have witnessed that rodeo. A little adrenaline rush fosho!

had similar instance a few years ago with big loan boar, he was coming from a neighbor and wondering our place in an area in the back of our ranch. I figured i was blowing him out by driving in always coming in on days i wasn't there. So i walked back in and made sure the wind was right till he finally slipped up. If he's nocturnal and you don't have thermal or NV, u can use a kill light if you use a flashlight even colored light don't turn it on pointed directly at them or he will most likely spook.

If your tired of the game, make a trap might take a week or so but you'll get him. Or keep at it and win the game! lol - agree old boars can be a challenge and fun, keep us posted!

You can experiment with bait, several short sections of PVC capped with holes drilled and filled with various baits, use the one he works the hardest on. You can cut off his feed for a week or so and use the tubes. He'll still show up but work harder on getting free food. You just have to work against his thinking.
We keep a "pig tube" all the time for just these situations. Stake it out in an area that can be shot from a couple hundred yards, bait it as stated above and put a cell camera on it that sends immediate pics. Let him find it for a couple days. Sneak back in with thermal optics when his is there and work them/him over!!!

You can experiment with bait, several short sections of PVC capped with holes drilled and filled with various baits, use the one he works the hardest on. You can cut off his feed for a week or so and use the tubes. He'll still show up but work harder on getting free food. You just have to work against his thinking.
If I may add to this, If you go with a pic tube don't make the holes in it too large or it will be too easy for him to get the corn out and he'll be gone before you even get to your stand.

Find his trail and snare him. I'm a federal trapper in Oklahoma. 60% of my work is feral hogs. I set corral traps for sounders but lone boar's I just snare them. Buy a few hog snares from the Snare Shop. Set them in his trails to and from your feeder. Make sure you set them where deer won't get in them like where he is going under the fence or through a thicket. You Tube will explain this just Google it. Good luck and happy hunting.

Attachments

• 1517E1CF-D5A8-4234-8DBE-32D153009D9C.jpeg
    1517E1CF-D5A8-4234-8DBE-32D153009D9C.jpeg
    674 KB · Views: 68