Trying to get smart boar hog

C-Tex1836

I've got a lone boar hog that I cannot get to come in consistently. I've been after him going on three years now. He shows up 1-3 times a week. One week he's there three random nights and another week he might show up once or twice. He is nocturnal year round. If I put out some crushed sugar beats or something similar and he finds it, he will come back to it but it's never the same time and sometimes not the next day. I've tried trapping him but he's wise to the trap as I'm sure other neighbors have traps as well. I've sat many nights trying to get him. He either won't come or knows I am there and he will show up 30 min to an hour after I leave. Does anyone have any suggestions I can try to get him coming in reliably? I have also tried soured corn, pig jam, jello mix, and several other off the shelf products. I will tip my hat to him as he didn't get as big and old as he is by being dumb.

Attachments

• IMG_1667.jpeg
    IMG_1667.jpeg
    54.6 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_1665.jpeg
    IMG_1665.jpeg
    54.1 KB · Views: 157
What is the terrain near the feeder? Is it open enough for you to set up a couple hundred yards out and observe him or is your blind up close? How long does it take you to reach your shooting spot from home -- a cell camera sending a notice with pictures might be your friend if you can show up quickly and stay away off to keep him from spooking while you set up

He knows you are there and he knows when you leave. Go sit in the blind and leave after about an hour, sneak back in down wind when he pops up on cellular camera.

Told the story here before, same scenario, he would wait me out, about 30 - 45 minutes after I would leave, he'd come to the feeder. Even spent a full day in the stand and he was a no show until I left.

He got lazy and I got him, took a few days in the blind. Snuck back in shoeless and shot him twice from about 120yds. When they get acclimated to humans, they get acutely aware of their surroundings and become almost ninja like. You just have to throw a well orchestrated kink in their plans.

IMG_5561.jpeg
IMG_5560.jpeg

Large wary hogs are more difficult than mature deer IMO. As you know they're nocturnal and not habitual like deer.

If you're trying to kill him for sport keep after him and only go out in perfect wind conditions unless shooting from a good ways off. Try to Determine bedding and water then set up feed or other attractant that's not a feeder. Perhaps change it buy buring some soured corn or creating a wallow if its dry. Need to make him want to show up. Again, proven smart kritters.

Now if you're fed up and serious about vermin eradication then get a large electronic pen trap or a man with dogs. With the dogs you still want to pattern him.

Best of luck.

You can build a figure 6 trap, since it looks like any feeder pen they don't get wary of them and actually start to get close to them, when you have him on camera near the trap, bait it sweet feed or even a telephone pole, they love creosote and are almost impossible to keep off it.

Built this one one night and had pigs in it the next morning, for some reason they don't fear the figure 6 traps like the traditional rooter or drop gate traps, maybe because they are open topped.

IMG_5607.jpeg
IMG_5605.jpeg
IMG_5606.jpeg
IMG_5609.jpeg
IMG_5610.jpeg
IMG_5611.jpeg
IMG_5612.jpeg
IMG_5613.jpeg
IMG_5614.jpeg

You can build a figure 6 trap, since it looks like any feeder pen they don't get wary of them and actually start to get close to them, when you have him on camera near the trap, bait it sweet feed or even a telephone pole, they love creosote and are almost impossible to keep off it.

Built this one one night and had pigs in it the next morning, for some reason they don't fear the figure 6 traps like the traditional rooter or drop gate traps, maybe because they are open topped.

View attachment 541241View attachment 541242View attachment 541243View attachment 541244View attachment 541245View attachment 541246View attachment 541247View attachment 541248View attachment 541249
Those things are huge!

In similar situations, we have had some luck putting red motion light on the feeder and setting up 75 to 100 yds away. it seems like the soured corn smell is almost irresistible. Some big boars we might only see once or twice a year or sometimes not all, then they show up again. I agree they are really smart. Good luck!! Post the pics when get him!

So I have two stands that I hunt. One is in the wide open between a patch of thick woods which this feeder pictured is in, and a large open field where my box blind is about 65 yards from one feeder and 105 to another. The other stand is this feeder in the picture which is in a thick patch of woods. The only way to hunt it, is a tree stand or a ground blind. The furthest I could be away is about 40 yards as the woods are so dense. As far as access goes, if I have a south wind which we do predominantly, I can sneak in undetected from the north as he comes from the south the majority of the time. The one in the woods is located to where I have to come from the north as well. This is due to neighbors to the south, east, and west. I have also built a figure six trap as pictured above. It is a good trap and does work. You'd be surprised to see a 250lb boar clear the 4 foot hog panel… I didn't think it was possible until it happened… I put out some more crushed sugar beets and crushed acorns today to see what he does. Ive been working on getting rid of our hog problem the last couple of years. Our neighbors have been doing the same thing. I used to have two sounders coming in both with numbers in the 30-40 range. Due to trapping and blind hunting, we have knocked the population down to 4 pigs. This won't last long tho…. All it's gonna take is a pregnant sow and here we go again. So getting rid of this big boar is to try and keep another sow from getting bread. But as others have said, he knows when I'm there and waits for me to leave. I have cell cameras down there but I live about 10 minutes away. Usually by the time I get to the property he is gone. One thing about him is he won't stay for long so you pretty much have to be there when he is.

A short panel cut in half with the vertical bars bent inward will stop the jumping out, you have to go slow setting them up, leave his most common egress open until you are ready to spring the trap. It will give you enough time to roll in a get him before he figures out he's been trapped and the panic sets in. I recommend a shot gun and heavy loads of #4 buck. He'll lose his mind, just make sure you use good heavy galvanized electric fence wire to tie everything together and then you may still end up with a rodeo. I killed all 5 of those pigs but 2 broke the panels apart directly in front of me, shot both pigs on the exit and both died in the yard and one from the pen made it to the trees behind the pen before expiring. It got a little exciting.

You can experiment with bait, several short sections of PVC capped with holes drilled and filled with various baits, use the one he works the hardest on. You can cut off his feed for a week or so and use the tubes. He'll still show up but work harder on getting free food. You just have to work against his thinking.