Trying to get smart boar hog

I have hay meadows and grazing pasture. Big boars do the most damage rooting, can go really deep. So I try to keep them thinned out.
I have a hog pen full of sows in one direction from my house. Other side of the house has a corn feeder about 100 yds from the covered deck. When the sows come in heat, any boar within a mile or three is gonna come check it out. Circle the house smelling the wind, can't get in the pen then wander over to the feeder and eat for a while. We shoot them with night vision or thermal. Thermal is the ticket. Get 4-6 a year over 250# right off the porch. Tractor and equipment damage, ground leveling and repairs dropped significantly.
In your case, bait, cell cam with phone notifications, and a thermal scope would be the easy button. Watch the wind and you can sneak up on them at night fairly easy.
Average hog is smarter than the average dog.

1707315888236.jpeg

Find his trail and snare him. I'm a federal trapper in Oklahoma. 60% of my work is feral hogs. I set corral traps for sounders but lone boar's I just snare them. Buy a few hog snares from the Snare Shop. Set them in his trails to and from your feeder. Make sure you set them where deer won't get in them like where he is going under the fence or through a thicket. You Tube will explain this just Google it. Good luck and happy hunting.
Use the MAGNUM gauge wire in case you hook up with Hogzilla. And tie it off to a 12" oak tree!!! LOL

Hogs have a keen sense of smell, the reason you can draw them in from quite a way away.

There eyesight is horrible, their hearing is as good as their nose. They are hard to fool once they are onto you.

We plumbed my dad's washer so it would quit dumping into the septic system, this is what my dad found the next morning after we ran the hose out into the yard. They came over a mile from their stomping ground and did this.

Coincidence, possibly, but they only came back when they washed clothes. We finally put in a lateral line system and they haven't been back since.

View attachment 541345View attachment 541346View attachment 541347View attachment 541348

Darryle, looks like a good way to aerate the yard, lol!

I have always said, you want pigs right up to the point you get pigs. It becomes work rather quickly.

We have a pecan orchard and about 30yrs ago I was picking up papershells and I told him my dad that I thought pigs or something was rooting under the trees getting all the pecans. His reply was, I've lived here for better than 50yrs and never seen a wild pig.

The first one I killed, a big lone boar was almost 400lbs. He was like I need a pistol when I go pick up pecans. I ended up killing almost 90 off that orchard over a feeder and trapped several hundred in about 6 months. They had a piece of Government property that hunting was forbidden on, so they would come to the first food source and destroy it. First trap I set I caught over 40, 60ft across and 54" horse panels figure 6. I was at work and my dad went to check it, he said it had quite a few in it, I said shoot them, he said, I don't have enough ammo. A single 30rd magazine of 223.

I hate pigs, I have killed more than I care to count, filled up several freezers and quite a few ditches. I can't even stomach to eat a wild pig, pork chops for a straight year or more ruined me. I don't even think about eating one now, shoot em and drag them off.

Y'all can have all that fun.

Hogs have a keen sense of smell, the reason you can draw them in from quite a way away.

There eyesight is horrible, their hearing is as good as their nose. They are hard to fool once they are onto you.

We plumbed my dad's washer so it would quit dumping into the septic system, this is what my dad found the next morning after we ran the hose out into the yard. They came over a mile from their stomping ground and did this.

Coincidence, possibly, but they only came back when they washed clothes. We finally put in a lateral line system and they haven't been back since.

View attachment 541345View attachment 541346View attachment 541347View attachment 541348
Reason this drew them is that the soapy water drove all the worms and grubs up to the surface, they don't like soap. Hogs root mostly to get at grubs and worms.

In a bear camp in Alberta there was a bear that did the same thing. Would come in to the bait right after a hunter would leave.. Drove the outfitter crazy. The final solution was for 2 people to go to the stand and after an hour or so, one would leave. The bear came running in and the hunter shot him.

You can build a figure 6 trap, since it looks like any feeder pen they don't get wary of them and actually start to get close to them, when you have him on camera near the trap, bait it sweet feed or even a telephone pole, they love creosote and are almost impossible to keep off it.

Built this one one night and had pigs in it the next morning, for some reason they don't fear the figure 6 traps like the traditional rooter or drop gate traps, maybe because they are open topped.

View attachment 541241View attachment 541242View attachment 541243View attachment 541244View attachment 541245View attachment 541246View attachment 541247View attachment 541248View attachment 541249
Whack em and stack em, good job!

To expand on what was said about him knowing when you come/leave-if you're in an enclosed blind, try having a buddy come along with you and then he leaves after an hour or so while you stay in the blind. Last I knew pigs are smart, but they can't count!

I agree with everyone who says hogs sometimes seem to have a sixth sense about when you're in the blind. We shot quite a few this last season but game cams clearly showed them consistently coming in soon after we'd leave the blind. What I've found that helps the most is to plan on shooting after dark/before sunrise and you don't need expensive 'slow illumination green lights' to do it. This past season I bought several solar-powered, motion-activated spotlights (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BKL6ZFXK?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1) and mounted them on my and my wife's feeders. I have hundreds of pictures of hundreds of hogs eating corn under these lights, which stay on the dim setting then get brighter when triggered by motion. After a day or two, the wildlife doesn't even notice them. My blind is 100 yds off and I have no trouble seeing the pigs clearly at night under those lights with my Leupold optics. If you need more light, mount a light on your rifle. I have this (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08NPFWW68/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1) 1000 lumen light on my LR-308 and it's incredible. It comes with four different bulbs that allow you to illuminate past 100 yds with white, green, red or IR.

Another thing that will keep the hogs in one place for hours is a 'hog barrel'. See my previous post on how to build them. https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/hog-barrels.278460/#post-2272347. We have pictures over the years of sounder after sounder molesting these hog barrels all night long. Even some pics of the big boars humping the barrels.

Good luck !

If you believe that. Scent is the problem, try smoking your clothes including your shoes. If you can stand in the smoke even better, it will cover up your skin and hair oils that way. Then try to approach your blind from a different angle, or use natural cover in a different spot instead of your blind. The trail you take in sounds like a repeat to the hog, different ground sounds different. Chances are he waits for you like you wait for him, so change up your arrival time as well.
May your prey fall swiftly, good hunting.

You can experiment with bait, several short sections of PVC capped with holes drilled and filled with various baits, use the one he works the hardest on. You can cut off his feed for a week or so and use the tubes. He'll still show up but work harder on getting free food. You just have to work against his thinking.
An old WV mountain boar trick - a little crushed up charcoal or coal, sprinkled with a little kerosene. Sounds bad but it works. No joke.