Trying to decide on scope for 300WSM

DMAXNAZ

After joining this site a few days ago to learn more about scopes it has just made my decision harder. I have searched for all of the info on every scope I though about buying and have taken in Way to much info. For starters I wanted to spend around $600. Then I realized there are some good scopes for just slightly more. I have never really been a long range shooter, so this is all new to me. I live in AZ and just wanted to build a nice gun for big game in my terrain. I've never owned a scope bigger than a 40mm before or more than a 10x. So I'm just trying to get my best fit for the knowledge I've recently obtained. Some of the drawbacks that have gotten me were that with some manufactures you need to jump from 10x to around 20x for the 50mm objective. Here are a few scopes I'm thinking might be good for me and what I like about them.

Zeiss rapid Z 800 4.5-14x50 I like that the computer program can help with the scope setup instead of having to shoot a ton of expensive ammo. I like the 14x.

Vortex 50mm. Is the 10x going to be enough or is the 20x too much?? I like what I've heard about their customer service,warranty, and the price. Which reticle best suited for me? No computer program equals a lot of ammo spent for sight in.

Sightron SIII 50mm and 56mm. Will the 10x be enough for the 56mm or do I really need the 24x on the 50mm? I like the reviews about the glass quality and light. Same here no computer program equals a lot of ammo spent for sight in.

Bottom line I'm sure these are all great scopes, but I'm torn. I want to purchase something that I will be happy with for a very long time and also maybe give me the know how to start shooting longer distances. I do understand that practice is most of the game, but I do know that optics are a major factor. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long winded thread.

Last edited:
If you have the money go with the Sightron SIII. The 10X might be fine for now but I bet you will quickly wish you had the 6-24x50 when you start shooting longer distances.

Just buy the good one now instead of worrying about upgrading later. :D

Buy the sightron. They are an awesome value. I really love mine. As for which model I'd opt of the 6-24x50 model. It is what I own and I don't regret it. With that being said people shoot to 1000 yards every day with 10x or less but I just like the extra magnification. It allows me to use the scope as a low power spotter if need be.

Which reticles are you guys hunting with on the Sightron?

I use Mil Dots. I really wish Sightron would offer better reticle choices though. This is there weakest point right now. If they would offer a wider reticle selection w/matched turrets then they would have no competition in there price range.

dmaxnaz, I'm going through the same thing right now trying to decide what to put on an R-5 Milspec I just ordered. After reading a lot of reviews, I'm really leaning toward the Sightron SIII in 6x24x50 with the Mil Dot. I've never used that reticle but look forward to learning a new tool. I also have a Leupold VX-III 4.5x14x40 LR with the BC reticle that I really like. It's mounted on a 300 WM. It saves a bit on weight for that particular rifle. The hold overs work out perfect for the 300 WM as well as the WSM out to 500 yds and the dial ups seem pretty accurate. Using dial ups, it has reached out to 1025 yds.

I'm going to wait a couple more weeks to think it over, but I am really leaning toward the SIII on this one as weight wont be as critical. I just wish they had the drop reticle. Good luck!

One of my friends has that Leupold with the same reticle and I did like it. I'm kinda leaning towards the S3 and seeing as how it's monday and places are open again..... I'm going to try to wait a few more days though.

Why not a Zeiss Conquest with the Rapid Z 600 reticle? If shooting 180 Accubonds it work out to even yardages to 600 yards. 10x is plenty of magnification for 600 yard shots.

But you could shoot 150grs BT''s and it would work out to even yardages with the Rapid Z 800. I guess you can tell I am not a fan of target turrets for hunting.

To each his/her own. But I'm not a fan of BDC type reticles for any purpose. BDC reticles and turrets are designed to work with one bullet running at one specific velocity at one specific enviromental condition. And I guess if you just hunt in one area during one time of year then they work alright. But what happens when you change elevation of you are in lower/higher humidity with a 30 degree air temp difference? Not to mention that has a handloader I like to play with my loads and thus my bullets and velocities may very well change.

But like I said to each there own.

I totally agree about the BDC type reticles. To me they are something designed for closer ranges. Way to many variables when shooting long range to use it accurately.

10X is only enough for 600 yards if you personaly think it is and can see what you are shooting at precisely enough. I hear people say that all the time on this forum, that "10X is fine for 1000 yards." Not for me, 10X isn't even enough for me at 100 yards and my vision is 20/15 in both eyes which is better than 20/20. You need the magnification that is right for you, not what is right for someone else.

Ok. Seeing as how no one in the country has the Sightron's in stock for another month or so, I think I'm going to go with the Vortex. I've yet to find anyone that has a complaint with the Vortex. The price is great too.

Ok.... I was getting a little in a hurry wanting to just get this new gun out to shoot. Shouldn't be so hard to get a scope. I think I would just be happier if I waited until I can get my hands on the New model SIII 6-24x50mm LR Mil-Dot. I just don't have the money right now to spend more. Is there anyone who has a connection to get one of these? I hear they are a month out from all of the online dealers, but that could even be talk. A month turns to two and so on...

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.