Truck gun

If I truly wanted/needed a truck Gun I think It would be wise to pick something with little recoil and muzzle report. In Texas It is against the law to shoot from a public road, so If I wanted one, I would not be able to use it like intended anyway.

But is it were not against the law, or I had a ranch and all the roads were private I would limit my choice to something mild mannered and not have to deal with broken glass and other things associated with recoil.

There are plenty of cartridges that will work without going overboard.
I would limit my choices to something like the 6.8 or smaller. The 762 x 39 was mentioned and should be a good choice in the right rifle. I have tried the pistol route and only found one that realy worked without any other issues mentioned, The 22 Mag (PMR 30) plenty of rounds, very good accuracy and very handy in a truck with left hand or right hand convenience.

Just Me

J E CUSTOM

If I truly wanted/needed a truck Gun I think It would be wise to pick something with little recoil and muzzle report. In Texas It is against the law to shoot from a public road, so If I wanted one, I would not be able to use it like intended anyway.

But is it were not against the law, or I had a ranch and all the roads were private I would limit my choice to something mild mannered and not have to deal with broken glass and other things associated with recoil.

I would limit my choices to something like the 6.8 or smaller. The 762 x 39 was mentioned and should be a good choice in the right rifle. I have tried the pistol route and only found one that realy worked without any other issues mentioned, The 22 Mag (PMR 30) plenty of rounds, very good accuracy and very handy in a truck with left hand or right hand convenience.

Just Me

J E CUSTOM
I'm not in a truck gun area either. I can definitely see the use for one out west , or even on the right side of the U.S., if one had a road system on a several thousand acre ranch. I'm not apposed to having a super short rifle of some kind ( AR15 collapsed w a short barrel ) for personal defense in my truck though. Perfectly legal in my state, by the way. It's even legal in Ga to carry a long gun, LOADED, on your person in public areas as long as the loaded action is exposed for all to see. And that is without a CCW ! I have yet to see anyone walking around the mall parking lot with their AR yet though.

Here, you have to have a CCW to carry a pistol and it must be concealed , or to carry a knife concealed or open that has a blade length over 12".
You dont need a CCW to carry a loaded rifle, but it must be exposed, or a knife with a blade, concealed or open, 12" or shorter. You cannot carry a pistol, except on your property ( that includes your own business or vehicle ) without a CCW.
We have reps that are trying to make open pistol carry legal without needing a CCW, but I'm not holding my breath.

All you can do is hope for the best, here any concealed weapon needs a CCW, IE: guns, knives, clubs, claymores, bazookas, etc !!!!!!!!!!!!

If you were to build as short compact rifle what would you build?

Thinking a 6.5/308
14.5" barrel plus a pinned brake
Bartlien 5R 1-8 for 6.5 and 1-9 for 308
Manner folding or the collapsible stock
Brake APA (laughs) C.H.O.D.E
Trigger Tech trigger
1-6 Vortex Razor/2.5-10x32 NSX
With other odds and in but that's the gest of it

Ruger American in 6.5G

Just Me

J E CUSTOM
Picked up a PMR 30 this year, love that little snot rocket!! Fits nicely in my guides choice chest rig for the G20 which i couldnt use in that capacity anymore since the slide got milled and the trijicon got put on (kenai now). Trigger is waay better than i expected and on my chest it's practically un-noticeable. After a few boxes of cci and hornady shes smooth as can be.

I kinda had a thing for the FN 5.7 when we got a few in back in my old retail days. The thought of 20 rounds of dehydrated 5.56 rounds in a pistol that weighs nearly nothing , with very acceptable accuracy still appeals to me. Report is pretty loud though from what I hear.