Truck Bed Winch Assist for Deer - Yup Getting Old

Muddyboots

Been fighting severe spinal stenosis and spinal arthritis which curtails my ability to lift anything at all so was tinkering in pole barn and decided to come up with something so I don't have to call in help to get deer easily into truck. I picked up a 2500 lb remote wireless winch from Harbor Freight ($49) and wanted it mounted in front of bed BUT easily removed. So mounted it on 2x12x1 off 4x4 post cut to fit. I already had a power plug rated for the winch installed by hitch for my electric boat winch so all I needed was a plug since I had a heavy power source with breaker in place. This is first prototype build so I may change it up after I hope to get some use.

There are tie downs in front of Ram bed like most trucks and thought it may be easy to use them as anchor. I ratchet strapped across the width of the board and across the front to keep it snug to front of bed. I was actually really surprised how tight it was to bed after snugging up both top and front straps. My plan is to use my game cart to truck, then winch the deer up the game cart using it like a ramp. The remote works perfect so hoping this will allow me to be more independent of folks that have been so gracious to help me. Heck, my son drops everything to make sure I get help so blessed in that regard as well. So if anyone else is out there with same restrictions, this may be an idea to work off to meet your needs. I am hoping to try it out before bow ends Jan. 1st since I do have a doe tag still available.

Attachments

• IMG_1852.JPG
    IMG_1852.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 4,624
  • IMG_1853.JPG
    IMG_1853.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,711
  • IMG_1850.JPG
    IMG_1850.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 2,621
Last edited:
Great idea! Keep on Huntin.
Did similar setup on Kubota ATV. Mounted steel bracket on bottom of bed. Mounted winch on top of bed through bed and bottom bracket. Put jumper cable clips on ends of the electrical cables so can attach to battery terminals when need power to use. Then threw in a piece of plywood in back bed. When loading deer can lower bed, use plywood to cover gap between ground and bed, grab a hold of hind or front legs and winch up into bed. 68 years old and needed the help when hunting alone.

Good idea. Keep on hunting. I have seen some truck lift winches from harbor freight that you could use that winch and pick it right up and swing it into the truck. I'll see if I can post you a link.

I built something similar for my truck. I mounted a wireless remote winch to a piece of 2x3' rec-tube that spans the width of the bed. Used the same rec-tube to make stakes that slide into the stake pockets of the truck bed. Ratchet strap from the cross bar down to the tie down hooks in the bottom of the bed. I use a four wheeler ramp to slide the elk up, I've loaded a pile of elk with it. Much easier!

View attachment 164737Cabela's

we did weld 45 degree angle braces on the upper angle.
I built/welded one up similar to that-- but it's more beefier :mad:--- I probably overbuilt mine, it's made from 2" square tube 1/4" thick, has a round swivel plate in the middle with a solid round bar stock plug for the swivel joint. It breaks down into 2 pieces for storage and loading into the truck...it has the hand crank winch but a small atv electric winch could be added as I have QD electric winch connectors at the front and rear of my truck for my hitch mount 12000 pound winch also.

Good solution but I would add a pully and mini gin poles at the back of the box so I wasn't dragging the rope or winch line over the tailgate.

Personally, I always carry my quad backed into my truck. I ratchet strap it in and use the winch on the quad to pull game up the quad ramps and into the back of the truck. Works great with and 8' box, would probably have to leave the tailgate down if you did this with a short box.

I built/welded one up similar to that-- but it's more beefier :mad:--- I probably overbuilt mine, it's made from 2" square tube 1/4" thick, has a round swivel plate in the middle with a solid round bar stock plug for the swivel joint. It breaks down into 2 pieces for storage and loading into the truck...it has the hand crank winch but a small atv electric winch could be added as I have QD electric winch connectors at the front and rear of my truck for my hitch mount 12000 pound winch also.

cohunt, that sounds great. The Cabela's one sits on a 12" long round stud on the receiver bar and swivels that way. It also comes apart that way for transporting and storage.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.