Truck Bed Winch Assist for Deer - Yup Getting Old

Been fighting severe spinal stenosis and spinal arthritis which curtails my ability to lift anything at all so was tinkering in pole barn and decided to come up with something so I don't have to call in help to get deer easily into truck. I picked up a 2500 lb remote wireless winch from Harbor Freight ($49) and wanted it mounted in front of bed BUT easily removed. So mounted it on 2x12x1 off 4x4 post cut to fit. I already had a power plug rated for the winch installed by hitch for my electric boat winch so all I needed was a plug since I had a heavy power source with breaker in place. This is first prototype build so I may change it up after I hope to get some use.

There are tie downs in front of Ram bed like most trucks and thought it may be easy to use them as anchor. I ratchet strapped across the width of the board and across the front to keep it snug to front of bed. I was actually really surprised how tight it was to bed after snugging up both top and front straps. My plan is to use my game cart to truck, then winch the deer up the game cart using it like a ramp. The remote works perfect so hoping this will allow me to be more independent of folks that have been so gracious to help me. Heck, my son drops everything to make sure I get help so blessed in that regard as well. So if anyone else is out there with same restrictions, this may be an idea to work off to meet your needs. I am hoping to try it out before bow ends Jan. 1st since I do have a doe tag still available.
yes we have a set up like that for moose and boos when we can get them to the truck with out quartering them up also a covered wheeler ramp to pull them up

Attachments

• 20170919_115520 (1).jpg
    20170919_115520 (1).jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 222
  • 20170919_102723 (1).jpg
    20170919_102723 (1).jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 224
OP, very nice cable management on your system! Good luck and keep going forward.

Wouldn't have been slightly easier to put a pulley up near the cab..mounted the motor at rear of truck.....shorter wires...and pulley coukd have been mounted a touch higher....

26Reload: Tried that layout but I carry a lot of stuff in bed as well so wanted the back area free and clear as much as possible. Plus the winch stays in truck for entire season at front of bed and I still can put cart, stands etc in back without any trouble at all. All good ideas, nice to keep them going so we can pick and choose what works for us.

Just looking at the lift that slides into the receiver gave me an idea! hang one of those nice basket chairs off it to relax during the day while hunting. Eat nice lunch on your own swing chair! OK, SOMEBODY has to do this and post it up ASAP!

Inspired by your engenuity as well as your drive to stay in the woods and keep hunting when it sounds like your body is fighting you. Hope you have success this season so your new rig gets a workout and a little bloody!!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.