trouble with new sendero

allen

just got my rem sendero 264 wm it shoots about 2" groups , and the primer is going into the firing pin hole even with factory loads. I have tried light loads still the same thing. is the firing pin spring to weak, or something elseI thought that a $1000.00 rifle would shoot a little better then this, and not give me a headache. does anyone have ideas ??????? thank allen

You wouldn't think so with a new sendero, but it sounds somewhat like excessive headspace?? Try backing off on your sizer die until the case will close with stiffness in your chamber and see if it still does the same thing......Rich

so your primers are cratering? could be the firing pin hole needs bushed, shouldn't be headspace, it should headspace on the belt so changing the die won't help. should do better than 2" I'd give remington a call.
RR

Mine does the same thing. Groups are better however. The problems is that the "tunnel" that the firing pin is in is too large. Every round I've ever shot gives me cupped primers. The edges of the cup are smooth. Supposedly if they are sharp then that is a problem. Never seen that in my rifle.

As far as teh groups I found that the stock really needed to be bedded. After a few dozen rounds there were spots that were found where the action rubbed against the stock. Even before this I had a good MOA gun.

The problem is that part of the metal cup flows back along the firing pin when the powder ignites. If the firing pin were larger or the tunnel it rest in were smaller there wouldn't be any room for this to happen.

Technically the round does headspace off the brass just in front of the belt but if you use a precision MIC you can push the shoulder back just enough for it to chamber easily.

thanks guys I found another problem the bolt handle is hitting when closed. I just sanded it out .maybe this will help. I will look at the firing pin hole. I ordered a new firing pin spring to see if it may help. thanks again Allen

Thank the bolt handle seems to be the problem. went out and shot the accubond that were shooting 2" and they shot 3/4" today. I fill better. I will put the new firingpin spring in tomorrow. Allen

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.