Trouble reloading nickel plated brass.

I'm not new to reloading, but i don't know a lot of people who reload. Most of what I know I read or learned on my own. The other day I got some nickel plated brass, and when I tried to run it through the sizing die I thought I was going to tear my press of my bench. I lubed the brass. It just didn't want to go through. Am I missing something, or is it just too hard to use? Thanks in advance.

The problem may be that you are using the wrong lube. Hornady One Shot is good for pistol but not for rifle. You need a different lube, something like either the Dillon or RCBS lube in the little spritzer bottle should work well.
Or try adjusting the die so it touched the shell holder with the ram all the way up and BACK it off a 1/4 turn. Run apiece of brass and check it in the gun. If it won't chamber screw the die down a little and try again. Do this till the brass chambers into the gun. I've found that new brass is sized small most of the time. If you don't have a comparator I would get one. It will tell you what is going on.

Thanks for the advice. I have been using the Hornady lube. It has worked fine on all my other brass. I use it on .204, .270, .308, and .300 RUM. I'll try a different lube, and backing the die out a little.

Use imperial sizing die wax and you will never have a problem with case prep again or the dreaded stuck case.

Nickel is a very hard material and can scratch the surface of the die, which is why most reloaders so do not use them.

I have plenty of regular brass. I just wanted to try the nickel to see how it works. I didn't know it was so hard. I'll probably try it with some different lube just to see what happens, but if it doesn't resize fairly easy I'll just scrap it.

Nickel brass is much stiffer/ harder than regular brass. I've never had much luck reloading it. Split necks, as you mentioned very difficult to resize. Looks neat, not work the hassle to me.

Matt

Well I guess I'll just scrap it. Doesn't sound like its worth the hassle just for some pretty loads. Thanks all for the advice.

Nickel brass is fine, but you need to be particular. Should be clean and use proper lube as mentioned. You do not want to oversize it, die needs to be set up properly to just bump shoulder back a thou or two. I have some fireformed 280AI cases that have a lot of reloads on them.

Thanks for the info, but I already trashed the cases. I only had 40 of them , and I have about 300 regular brass cases for my .308.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.