Tripod Heads

I am looking at getting a lite weight tripod (lite weight aluminum or carbon fiber) for back packing. Which tripod head should I be looking into? Ball head, pan head, or a fluid head? Maybe which brand too.

Jason
Jason, After buying a BogPod Tripod with their patented fork, and having that fail me when a monster Whitetail appeared at 180 yards (hay field) for about 5-6 seconds exposure, I started searching for a remedy. To date I have purchased (listed in order of purchase) a TwoVets 55mm ball head, a Pig Saddle (glass reinforced plastic), and a Vortex Pan Head Carbon Tripod rated nominally at 20 lbs weight capacity. I removed the pan head, machined from aluminum an adaptor, then mounted the TwoVets on the Vortex tripod. The TwoVets is Arca compatible so my Hog Saddle, spotting scope, and binocs all quick change. I've tested in my shop, and will test at my Rifle Range very soon. I'll go live in the upcoming Missouri Deer Season. I'm Ready Now!

How quickly do you need to deploy? Will you be using it for glassing and/or ranging too? Generally speaking what ranges are you intending to shoot? Is your rifle arca compatible? I ask because the possible solutions are almost endless. You gotta be real about your needs to get good advice. I personally use multiple solutions based upon my anticipated needs or circumstances.

New on my radar is Tricer which makes some interesting options. If I were on the market again they are something I would consider. They make some lightweight tripods and a pan head for a pretty good price.

https://tricerusa.com/?utm_source=G...wopmecQw3rVPPmJ3voLEeLG9GhQ8A1LRoCmn4QAvD_BwE

If you want something that is good for glassing first but also a shooting support I would recommend going with a fluid or pan head on a tripod with a vertical extension tube. Outdoorsmans makes some great stuff and are clearancing all their older generation stuff in favor of Arca. Slik tripods are also a good and more affordable option. The previously mentioned Tricer also falls into this category.

If you are primarily using it to shoot and glassing would be less important I would get a ball head with a pan function. Leveling base options are alright but have a much more limited range of motion. RRS stuff is expensive and PRS elitists will tell you nothing else is worth buying but there are plenty of great options out there. I have an FLM which is excellent and a fraction of the price. Audere has teased a new prototype tripod/head combo similar to the RRS Anvil which intrigues me but no word on if or when it would be put into production.

I recently did quite a bit of research on a tripod head and I think the overwhelming decision is that the Sirui VA-5 is the best. Do some research on it and look at reliable sources like GoHunt, etc - all agree that the VA-5 is the best you can get. I would just caution you to be careful of getting one that is too lightweight because the entire purpose is for glassing and if it is not steady you are defeating the purpose.

I've done more research and in the field use for years and Outdoorsmans pan head, no question
Should have clarified - VA-5 is the best without spending $450 on the head alone lol. So, I guess the question comes to the OP of what his price range is. I have never tested the Outdoorsman, heard great things, but me among many others, have zero issues with VA-5.

I am looking at getting a lite weight tripod (lite weight aluminum or carbon fiber) for back packing. Which tripod head should I be looking into? Ball head, pan head, or a fluid head? Maybe which brand too.

Jason
I run fiesol brand and they have tournament model that is perfect for back packing. I have the 3342 for my use and run their 50mm ball head with RRS mini qd arca clamp. To me it is an excellent combo of weight and cost factor. It's as strong as many heavier tripods and considerably more affordable. Now they offer pan heads, I have that too, but overall I prefer the ball head. For a little lighter weight the leveling head is lower profile too. Below is the link the 3342 and 3442. 3442 is more compact. Keep in mind the back bone of a tripod is in the base head width. The larger the head that supports the legs the more stabilization. There is a reason PRS matches are full of RRS tripods and quite a few fiesol like the cretac that holds 132lbs with a base head at 4.72".

https://www.feisol.net/tripods/tournament-tripods.html

I run the VA-5 and it's the route for me for glassing. Using a fluid head is so so much better for pan viewing. Works well for shooting off of as well.

I recently got an RRS Scout which I use on my Anvil. It's the best of all worlds. Quick to remove and use the Anvil for shooting yet a great lightweight option for glassing. There are lighter combos out there but nothing with the stability this setup offers.

this works for my spotting scope and my long range rifle

Attachments

• Universal-Leveling-Base_2-01.png
    Universal-Leveling-Base_2-01.png
    25.9 KB · Views: 60