Outdoorsman Fluid tripod head

Redleg84

Anyone have the Outdoorsman Fluid tripod head? I'm looking for a nice panning head to put on my tripod for glassing with a spotting scope/binos. Before I drop that line of money I want to see if anyone had had any issues.

I put Sirui VA-5's on mine, and shortened the handles....

IMG_7236.JPG

IMG_3332_zpsmgiaaw6t.jpg

IMG_6743.JPG

I have their pan head and it was a phenomenal investment. Have had it for over a year now and absolutely no issues. Replaced a Manfrotto fluid video head that had been giving me issues. The manfrotto turned me off video heads, not sure if you have tried it side by side vs their fluid head but I much prefer the pan head and it's about $300 less. I love the locking levers.

I do see the VA5 often suggested, I might go that route. I was leaning towards the Outdoorsman because it's US made.

You prefer the pan head to the fluid? I haven't had a chance to try them side by side, I just figured the fluid would be a bit easier to work a spotter with.

Correct, I wanted a bombproof, lightweight head that was made in USA with no plastic components. The outdoorsmans pan does that and has no slop, even with heavy optics like my Kowa. I have grown to really like the dual levers for pan/tilt. I do a lot of birdwatching as well, so I'm constantly glassing around and the dual controls don't bug me. I find it actually helps me glass a grid better, as I can lock vertical and then scan without drifting.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.