Tripod Heads

After doing extensive research I purchased the Small Rig fluid head on Amazon for $39 (now $49). It is small, lightweight and perfect for binoculars.

SmallRig Selection Tripod Fluid Head Pan Tilt Head with Quick Release Plate for Arca Swiss for Compact Video Cameras and DSLR Cameras -3259 Amazon product ASIN B09C89QPR6
I have it paired with a Sirui carbon fiber Traveler 5CX tripod $95 (now $119) for a lightweight, compact very affordable solution.

SIRUI Carbon Fiber Traveler 5CX... Amazon product ASIN B07KD3R47X
This would probably be too lightweight for a heavy spotting scope, but for my Vortex HD Fury 5000AB it is perfect. I use the OUTDOORSMANS BINOCULAR ADAPTER and OUTDOORSMANS UNIVERSAL BINOCULAR STUD for a quick release solution.

Last edited:
I think if you want to be able to shoot off of it the RRS scout is the answer. For lightweight packable and smaller optics like 65 spotter or less and binocs/ranging binocs I would go tricer, wiser precision nighthawk, and in last place va-5. I own the nighthawk and va-5. I spent time this week behind the tricer and it is a very nice lightweight option work checking out. Night hawk has been great for me but it is finicky to adjustment and needs to be dialed in perfectly to have no return. Va-5 is great for the money and mine lives on my truck tripod now but I wouldn't put it in the upper end lightweight class.