Trip insurance?

Bucklowery

I was wondering who has used trip insurance before and if so who did you use? Any thing to look for? Tips?
Me and wife are planning elk hunting trip for next year. It may not be once in a lifetime but it is close. Plus with everything going on and my job you never know what will be going on

Thanks

Buck

Given what you posted I would, especially out of the country. Sounds like a lot at stake, I haven't done it yet, next time I will.
I'd check with the outfit, but remember many won't survive the current state of affairs to even return deposits, or make good another year.

Look closely at the fine print-- most will cover you for medical issues IF you are admitted to a hospital ( so not stay at home quarantine, unless you've been admitted to hospital)--- BUT most will NOT cover you for other covid restrictions .

I had a trip to Ireland planned this month and had trip insurance. My flight was canceled by AA (full refund) but Ireland had "2 week quarantine restrictions for leisure travelers" and most tourist destinations are closed.
Travel agent would not cancel or refund. The travel insurance fine print got me comming and going-- I lost my travel agent deposit and the travel insurance fees.

If you get some, make sure its a "cancel for any reason" policy-- prices are much higher but at least you can cancel

Last edited:
Cohunt's comments are on the money. My wife planned a trip to Ireland with her girlfriend and they had the foresight to get trip insurance. However, no one saw the Covid coming and no one really reads the fine print in the trip insurance policy.
Pandemics are usually not covered. When the President cancelled flights to & from the region I thought she would get her money back without question but that didn't happen. The airline offered a delayed trip within 6 months if booked immediately. That was in March of 2020. Hotels refused to return money because they technically remained open even though they were empty and Covid was raging there. Even the travel agent hasn't returned the money as they promised to.
All things being considered, I wouldn't plan a trip anywhere until the smoke clears. But if you do, you should get an iron clad cancellation policy. Policy writers leave themselves lots of loop-holes so that they don't have to pay.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.