Idaho trip

Verk

Looking for a long range hunter to join my trip to idaho this fall horse backed in ten days ....leave wisconsin Oct 18th return Oct 30......elk and deer tag plus ride in 3008.75 ......hoping to fill one maybe two spots thanks .....adam

I'd love to see more post like this.....I'd like to do an Elk hunt to CO and buddy up with a few others. Especially some with more knowledge of the area.

What part of Idaho are you hunting out of curiousity? I go elk hunting every year on those same dates in the Salmon area.

Very cool! Good luck! I would recommend buying an OTC non res wolf tag. I had an opportunity last year to shoot one and wasn't quick enough to get a shot off but I got some really good audio of them barking, howling, and fighting just a few hundred yards away.

We will have two in our group 35 bucks I think never hunted idaho before but didn' draw in montana so throw this together at last minute.....im the only long range guy though but bringing extra rifle for my brother.....hoping outfitter doesn't screw me every time I pay someone for this stuff I get screwed.....do better on my own....but here's for hoping

Have hunted the salmon zone for years in Gun season, to many hunters for us. this year we are going for the month of September for archery. Will report back if we have any good news.

Have hunted the salmon zone for years in Gun season, to many hunters for us. this year we are going for the month of September for archery. Will report back if we have any good news.

It has really gained popularity in the last few years for some reason. When I started going there tags were always available up until the season started for OTC bull tags.
Then a few years ago they sold out in August, then the next year they sold out by June, and now this year they sold out by March. These are the Non resident tags I'm talking about. I don't think they have reduced the amount of tags. But yeah, there has definitely been an increase in the amount of hunters we see every year now. Before we would rarely see people. Does anyone have insight on why this is?

I hunt elk in Idaho as an out of state hunter. Different area than you are hunting but with the same story you have told. I'm probably wrong, but what I contribute it partly to is: It seems like it's harder and harder to draw a tag in your home state so if you're going to hunt you have to go to some state that you can purchase a tag.

We have been hunting North of Salmon since the early 80's. Not many elk there but lots of slammer deer then. And every year the tags do sell out faster and faster. Two years ago I stopped and chatted with two diff groups of guys camping. Both groups were asked how long there had been hunting there, reply's from them. First and second year, and we were told by Idaho fish and game this zone had the most game and the most national forest to hunt. It is all about selling the tags. We will be archery hunting the entire month of September, sure hope there not as many guys/gals around then.

I have only been here in Idaho 3 years....but I hear a lot of residents are buying up secondary tags.....apparently it is cost effective if you know where to go.....and find elk.....

Just a FYI for the guys hunting near Salmon. Three years ago we took two elk to Pete's Meats In Salmon. The weather was warm and we did not want to butcher ourselves. When we returned to pick the meat up, we were told they could not find it. We spent several hours there and things got heated . We cut out losses and learned a lesson. Just beware..

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts