First backcountry elk trip

JJMoody

About 3 weeks before opening of elk season I get a phone call from my uncle asking if I could go on his yearly backcountry elk trip. I was nearly jumping out of my skin to say yes but had to reschedule and move a few things to make it happen. My cousin and his 10 year old step daughter would be joining us. He then divulged his ailing shoulders and aging body and I quickly ascertained that he was more looking for an extra set of hands than anything else, but it would be a great opportunity to spend some much needed family time hunting elk and hopefully getting a newer hunter some time in the woods and saddle. All came together, albeit a little roughly and we were loaded and on the way with 4 riding horses and mules and 4 packers. After a 12 mile trip in and setting up camp on a lake shore at 7400' the first two days, wehunted hard and came away with 2 bulls and a good black bear. I shot a young 6x6 at 335 and assisted my cousin on a 4x5 at 330. There was a much larger herd bull in the group that I never did get a great chance at, but all in all I can't complain one bit. It's a much longer story but I'll try to attach pics to make up for a lack of words:)

image.jpg

Looks like an awesome trip. Congrats! Any time you take stock into the backcountry like that, there's bound to be some adventures involved.

Sounds like blast. I'd love to horse in 10+ miles with a tank of a rifle and just enjoy life for a week while glassing away. I'm assuming Idaho? Thanks for sharing.

Thanks fellas yes it was Idaho. Unit 14 south of Grangeville in the Gospel Hump Wilderness.
picture out of camp.
image.jpg

I had rodeo'd quite a bit in my early 20s but never ridden a mule before the trip. This gave me a wonderful respect to the animals. "Sure footed" doesn't begin to describe how They think their way through every tricky step, path and rock in the trail and despite your best efforts at plow reining and and leg queues, they really don't need you to navigate. Ol Jasper let me know that on several occasions. :D. Being removed from some of the misery of the trip has left me with only the good memories. My phone (knowledge) only lets me post one pic at a time so I'll continue a few more pics.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.