Triggertech spring

If that was the case, you would only need one coil.

Each coil has a static spring rate, each progressive coil adds to the sum, there is no torsion applied in this type of coil spring.

Coil springs whether in a trigger or a suspension works the same, the difference in a suspension is the leverage applied by the upper and lower A-Arms. There is no Cantilever applied to the coil spring in a trigger, the tension is applied by the adjustment screw.
I agree with most everything you say but when you are cutting coils you are actually stiffening the spring. In the video you can see the spring has 10 coils if you cut one off you are stiffening the spring by 10 percent. Now at 2.5 pounds that's only minute compared to the reduction in length of the compression of the now shorter spring.
1682435475301.jpeg

Last edited:
I purchased my guns from gun shows and shotgun news because they were so cheap back then!!
All I wanted was the receivers anyway!!
I love these guns!!
That all I wanted too, was the action. Making sure that all the numbers matched. I would even go as far as leaving them with the stocks. I wasn't going to use them anyway. Sometimes they would reduce the price for the stock.

I agree with most everything you say but when you are cutting coils you are actually stiffening the spring. In the video you can see the spring has 10 coils if you cut one off you are stiffening the spring by 10 percent. Now at 2.5 pounds that's only minute compared to the reduction in length of the compression of the now shorter spring.
View attachment 458859

This reminds me of the time I picked up a hitchhiker. During conversation I discovered he earned a master's degree in phylosophy. I told him I read in the dictionary the definition of philosophy is man's search for wisdom through logic rather than observation of the facts. He said, "That is perfect."

That's what I see here. I cut off a Ruger spring and the trigger gauge displayed reduced pressure. Period. No theory, just real world facts.

I'm not trying to disrespect or disregard your results. I'm just trying to not promote misinformation ( like the bullet rising thread ) yes you got reduced pressure because a shorter spring was put in at the same distance the longer spring was at, less preload so less pull weight.

If the spring is a constant rate spring, how does it know if it has 10 coils or 8 coils?

I would have thought that each coil of the spring has a rated weight, for example 5lbs, so 10 coils would be 50lbs, the same spring cut to 8 coils would be 40lbs.

I agree that the shorter spring would be stiffer when deflected from center because of the shorter overall height(leverage), but I would believe that the compressed rate would decrease.

I used to think that way too but I had to do some suspension work and found that all springs work off of a formula where the length of the spring, the number of coils, the wire diameter and center line of wire circle all come into play.
Basically the more coils the more compliant the spring the less coils the stiffer the spring rate.

Heck you can do a small cheap experiment take a pen spring put it between your fingers and see how easy it is to compress. Now cut it in half and see how much more resistance it has to being compressed.

A coil spring is a torsion bar, even when used in a tension or compression application. Stretching or compressing the spring causes the wire to twist. You can see this by drawing a line around the spring down the OD of the wire, and then stretching or compressing it. You will see the line twist as you move the spring away from it's at rest state.

What feels like a reduction in force to reassemble a shorter spring is actually the result of a lower pre-load on the spring. Springs are rated in force required to compress it some measured distance. Like lbs./in or N/M or whatever. If you have a 1 lbs./in spring then it requires one pound to compress it one inch. To compress it another inch requires another pound of force. At that point you have 2 lbs. of pre-load on that spring. If you cut the spring shorter by an inch and put it back in that situation that originally had it compressed two inches you'll only need about one pound of force (instead of two lbs.) to re-install it. So the pre-load was reduced by roughly 1/2, but that doesn't mean that the spring has a lower spring rate, just that the pre-load needed is less with the shorter spring. This can be very misleading.

Spring rate in a coil spring is calculated by this formula:
equation-2.jpg

(Blatantly stolen from here:)
Notice how if you reduce the number of active coils (by cutting the spring) that the magnitude of the whole divisor is reduced. Which means that with fewer coils the spring will be stiffer.

A cut spring will have less pre-load when re-installed in the original location and that will lower the initial trigger weight feel, but it now has a slightly higher spring rate. How that translates into actual trigger weight will take more math than I'd guess 80% have the patience for.