Trigger pull weight

Methow Packer

What trigger pull weight do you find works well for LRS. 2 1/2 lb. seems good for most applications to me but how about LRS. 1 1/2 could be too light? What do you guys have your rifles trigger set at?

My lighter carry rifles are set at 1.5 to 2.5 lbs depending on the trigger (factory or aftermarket). My heavy long range rig is set at a pound. All triggers have some overtravel but no creep.

I can't stand a trigger over a few ounces, or with travel so low that I bottom out the pull.
I'm totally happy with ~2oz pull, at the range and in the field.
My current favorite is Bix & Andy triggers. They are light(like a BR Jewel), while adjustable in travel like an Anschutz 2-stage.

I don't like safety mechanisms. This is one of the first things deleted in my guns, along with any magazine and/or plunger ejection.
My safety is never chambering a round until fully decided & ready to kill something.

I can't stand a trigger over a few ounces, or with travel so low that I bottom out the pull.
My current favorite is Bix & Andy triggers. They are light(like a BR Jewel), while adjustable in travel like an Anschutz 2-stage.

I don't like safety mechanisms. This is one of the first things deleted in my guns, along with any magazine and/or plunger ejection.
My safety is never chambering a round until fully decided & ready to kill something.

Wow, that is exactly what I do and use!

That method only works where there are no man eaters. I carry a round in the chamber - almost always when in the habitat of bears - when hunting by myself, and depend on the safety to be functional. When I'm on my own, it's much simpler to ensure the muzzle isn't pointing at me.

I sometimes carry a round in the chamber when hunting with a companion. There the risk of the muzzle errantly pointing at my companion increases.

Around 2 lbs trigger pull is about as light as I care for in a large game hunting rifle used for long range hunting. My definition of long range maxes out at around 1000yds. Jewel triggers...

This is just another example of how answers to questions can be different for different hunting conditions in different places.

Kind of funny this has come up, my dad and I were just having this conversation about a week ago. I used to think a good crisp clean breaking 2.5lb trigger was all I ever needed or wanted. Then I had one that was tuned up and was around 2-2.25lbs. Then I started having all my Jewels set to 1.5lbs. I have a couple little CZ 527's that I've tuned the trigger on myself and they're right around 12oz. Those little 527's have a sweet trigger in them and are so easy to tune, especially if you replace the spring. I don't know that I'll go much lower than 1.5lbs in my larger stuff but I sure like a really light trigger in the small critter rifles.

What really sucks about getting used to a good light trigger is when I go shoot my rimfire rifles but with enough work I've been able to get those down around 2-ish lbs. with minimal or no creep but it takes a lot of work on some of them because the triggers in those things is soooo crappy.

I guess it's all in what you get used to but once you get used to a really good trigger then pick up something with a bad trigger, it's almost difficult to shoot the thing.

That method only works where there are no man eaters. I carry a round in the chamber - almost always when in the habitat of bears - when hunting by myself, and depend on the safety to be functional. When I'm on my own, it's much simpler to ensure the muzzle isn't pointing at me.

I sometimes carry a round in the chamber when hunting with a companion. There the risk of the muzzle errantly pointing at my companion increases.

Around 2 lbs trigger pull is about as light as I care for in a large game hunting rifle used for long range hunting. My definition of long range maxes out at around 1000yds. Jewel triggers...

This is just another example of how answers to questions can be different for different hunting conditions in different places.

+1

Trigger pull weight is a very personal thing and there is no one trigger weight that is good for all people and conditions.

I tried the light trigger weights when triggers became safer (Some even have an interrupter link built is that prevents operating unless the trigger is pulled, Like the Jewell.

After shooting/competing many years with the required 4 lb trigger Minimum I found that many triggers were subject to accidental discharge when set to light. The first "Good trigger" that no matter what I did to the rifle, would not fire unless I pulled the trigger encouraged me to try 2oz
and all was fine at the range, but several times with gloves on I was not totally ready for the rifle to go off. so I started adjusting the trigger until it felt right and did not effect the accuracy. After reaching this point, I weighed the trigger and it was 2.2 pounds. so I set all of my rifles with aftermarket triggers the same (2.2 pounds and have never regretted it). The factory triggers are not set this light for safety reasons.

I could probably change all of them to 2.0 pounds and probably could not tell the difference. With good trigger control, 4 to 6 pounds is very good but without the amount of practice as before, the 2.2 pound trigger works well for me.

Just My opinion

J E CUSTOM

I guess it's all in what you get used to but once you get used to a really good trigger then pick up something with a bad trigger, it's almost difficult to shoot the thing.

The other day a guy wanted me to shoot his rifle. After several seconds I checked the safety and discovered it was not "on". So I asked the owner what it was set for. He told me it was set at 2 3/4#. I am used to 20 - 24 ounces in my hunting rifles. I could hardly get it to fire without extended major concentration.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.