Trigger issue

JohnWess

Hello all,
I am trying to do some investigating into what is happening with my trigger. I bought a Calvin Elite 2 Stage from another guy and at first glance it looks great. In fact, even when it is just on the barreled action it functions fantastic. BUT, when I put the barreled action in the stock and torque down my bottom metal the trigger begins to malfunction. When I pull it, it won't release the firing pin inside my bolt assembly until I move the bolt handle. Then, the firing pin will drop. I assume it gets bound up somewhere within the stock or with the bottom metal, but where would the pressure have to be on the trigger to cause this?
Thanks in advance for the input,
John

Perhaps you could check the inletting of the stock around the trigger. Also the bottom metal can be touching the trigger. A jewlers file or a Dremel can relieve the area obstructing trigger function. I've encountered this a few times when installing new triggers. Good luck

Perhaps you could check the inletting of the stock around the trigger. Also the bottom metal can be touching the trigger. A jewlers file or a Dremel can relieve the area obstructing trigger function. I've encountered this a few times when installing new triggers. Good luck
Ya, I figured it is contacting somewhere and I would have to relieve the pressure. Just trying to pinpoint exactly where if I can. This sounds terrible, but I am happy to hear that you've also experienced it so I know it isn't just some anomaly. Thanks!

I have had this on a Timney trigger in a Rem. 700 ADL........ Try put the action in to stock without the bottom metal, when looking at it upside down, and a flashlight, you can check that the wood is all clear. Then slowly slide the bottom metal on, and you can usually see where it is contacting. I check this when inletting stocks, so usually I have long headless bolts in the action screws, so the bottom metal slides straight down. On the ADL, it was rubbing the side of the trigger on the bottom metal hole. The Timmney trigger shoe was a bit wider than the factory trigger. I use inletting black on the bottom metal instead of the trigger, but smoking, and even lipstick would work. Good Luck, I hope you figure it out!

Use something, Candle black or lip stick to get a picture of the metal when pulled together by the action screws. Somewhere something is binding the trigger so it will not perform smooth and safe. May want to try shimming the bottom metal at the action screws for a quick check. To prove it is causing the problem.
Good Luck finding the cause and a SAFE FIX To this problem.

morning on the right side of the action there is a rod that actuates the
the safety, if this is a rem. 700. this rod works in conjunction with the trigger.
also check bidding of the magazine box. I just had the problem with a custom
6.5rem. mag. when torqueing the mounting screws go 5lbs at a time.
keep moving the safety. if u experience a stiffness in the safety
movement u found the problem. use a dremel to remove the problem.
very good suggestions. justme gbot tum

If the trigger assembly isn't binding in the inletting, it might be your bedding isn't "stress free". Those 1/4"-28 trigger guard screws can exert a lot of power, twisting or slightly bending the action when torqued down. A simple way to check is to assemble the barreled action, with the trigger attached and working properly, with the stock. Thread the screws I all the way, but not 'torqued'. If the trigger works as it should you have found the problem.When doing any inletting, I prefer a product called "inletting Black", available from the common gunsmith suppliers. I've tried all the other stuff, chalk mixed with light grease, candle soot. Inletting Black leaves a good mark you can see where there are 'problems' with the others.

When I worked I ground tapered bores using High Point Blueing or Prussian Blue
Take a light pass and read the blue and swing the chuck as needed it takes practice!
Same stuff but it can be messy! We put it on the ear piece of the bosses phone
and paged him..He didn't think it was funny?

Hello all,
I am trying to do some investigating into what is happening with my trigger. I bought a Calvin Elite 2 Stage from another guy and at first glance it looks great. In fact, even when it is just on the barreled action it functions fantastic. BUT, when I put the barreled action in the stock and torque down my bottom metal the trigger begins to malfunction. When I pull it, it won't release the firing pin inside my bolt assembly until I move the bolt handle. Then, the firing pin will drop. I assume it gets bound up somewhere within the stock or with the bottom metal, but where would the pressure have to be on the trigger to cause this?
Thanks in advance for the input,
John
looking down on the elite there is a pin that sticks out some and a lot of stocks it will bind when put in the stock just a bit of inletting will do it,that is if that is what is hitting

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.