Jewell Trigger recurring issue

eklarsen

Greetings,
I recently completed an new build in 30 Nosler, I included a Jewell HVR with top safety from the action maker (stiller). After about 60 rounds down range I noticed the pin would drop while closing the bolt or when taking the safety off (hard to miss that by the way).

I disassembled the trigger and noticed that the pivot pin broke in half, I sent the trigger to Jewell, they replaced the part and sent it back to me, after reinstalling it worked fine in test operation...

2 days later, off to the range to finish my load work up, I had three rounds to shoot for sighters before my testing, after the 2nd shot the issue returned and upon inspection exactly the same failure (pivot pin broken).

I read on the interwebs a few comments with this occurring, mostly old stuff but thought I would ask the collective if others have this issue? I am really struggling with a $200 + trigger that I cannot trust but not sure what else could be the issue, everything looks like it is operating as it should and this is a very small piece so it appears like a likely spot to fail but ***?

My next option is what, buy 6 of those pivots to keep in my box for future failures or scrap the trigger and replace with a Timney, Shilen other...? Anything I should check, baffled here.

Attachments

• WP_20170617_16_02_41_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170617_16_02_41_Pro.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 133
I think I would replace the trigger with another brand because this one seems unsafe to me if it breaks while cocked it will fire .
Send it back . Looks to me like the part is just too hard and brittle.

I have a Jewell trigger on my custom made 28 Nosler, I had problems after first 15 rounds, the trigger would not engage to safety, stuck on fire. I took it out of the stock, I couldn't see anything jamming it, messed around and it started working again. Later on hand same issue pop up again, took it out and noticed a screw was loose and would keep it from engaging. I have not had any more issues since then. One would think with the cost of those they could hold up with a magnum rifle.

I have a Jewell trigger on my custom made 28 Nosler, I had problems after first 15 rounds, the trigger would not engage to safety, stuck on fire. I took it out of the stock, I couldn't see anything jamming it, messed around and it started working again. Later on hand same issue pop up again, took it out and noticed a screw was loose and would keep it from engaging. I have not had any more issues since then. One would think with the cost of those they could hold up with a magnum rifle.

This is the case with many aftermarket triggers. The stock has to be inleted to allow the trigger to function properly.

Most of the time its the safety that's being interfered with or the bolt release.

The safety should snap in to the safe position with room to spare and in the fire position.

Sounds like the trigger is not clear and recoil is braking it.

J E CUSTOM

This is the case with many aftermarket triggers. The stock has to be inleted to allow the trigger to function properly.

Most of the time its the safety that's being interfered with or the bolt release.

The safety should snap in to the safe position with room to spare and in the fire position.

Sounds like the trigger is not clear and recoil is braking it.

J E CUSTOM

JEC, I assume you are saying that about the 28 Nosler, mine is completely clear of any safety engagement issues.

JEC, I assume you are saying that about the 28 Nosler, mine is completely clear of any safety engagement issues.

No. nothing to do with any caliber/cartridge, Just that it is very unusual for any trigger to break parts, especially more than once.

Without looking at the rifle It could be any number of reasons even the cocking piece that could be causing the problem.

I would have a competent gunsmith look at it and see if he could figure it out. I have Jewells on everything I could/can afford and have never had them fail. that doesn't mean it couldn't happen
but it is very unusual.

If you have access to a brinell or Rockwell hardness tester, I would test the hardness of the broken part to see if it is to hard/brittle.

Good luck and let us know (We can all learn something).

J E CUSTOM

Take your rifle to J Beagle Rifle in Vancouver.
Jon is very good at sorting this out.

Thanks JEC and NW Hunter,
I did think about the cocking piece as well, I already ordered a replacement however with only 80 rounds on it seems unlikely but you never know.

NW thanks for the lead, if I cant resolve I will look him up and it always good to know there is a competent gunsmith around locally.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.