Jewell Trigger Issue

Eleazar

I just installed a Jewell HVR on my Remington 700. Initially the inside of the manners stock had to be cut back in order to allow the safety tang to function smoothly and not "hang". Resolved in short order with a Dremel Tool.

My issue now is that the trigger will fire when the bolt is closed (if the safety is off). If the gun is not put back on safety between each bolt cycle the firing pin will "fire" when the bolt is closed. Upon closer inspection I've found that by placing the gun on "safe" the firing pin block is pushed back into the proper position - if not it stays "down".

For a single shot or for the first initial shot this would not be an issue, however, if taking a string of shots the gun would have to be placed on safety between every shot. If it isn't then I'm certain it would "slam fire" when closing the bolt.

Can anyone give some advice or guidance on how to resolve the issue? What am I missing?

-I've attempted to clean it (without taking the assembly COMPLETELY apart).
-I've checked the sear engagement
-I've checked the over travel
-I've checked the trigger weight

Thanks

Check the clearance between the bottom metal and the trigger its self.

I have found this is sometimes the problem because the trigger is touching the trigger guard not allowing it to set the sear correctly. The trigger assembly cannot touch any part of the stock.

You can easily check this by loosening the action screws enough to relieve any tension on the trigger and then closing the bolt with the safety off.

Hope this fixes your problem.

J E CUSTOM

I've tried it with the bottom metal off as well as the entire action/barrel out of the stock.

I'm going to attempt to post a video for reference

Cant get the video to work but here is the before and after pics...its appears VERY SLIGHT, but there is a difference

After firing, the Firing Pin Block stays "Down". It almost appears as though the entire trigger assembly is being "pinched" by the action and the spring does not have enough force to push the Firing Pin block back into position. (unless done manually - next picture).
Firing Pin Block _Down.JPG

Once the safety is engaged the Firing Pin Block Moves back "Up" very slightly and keeps the firing pin from dropping when the bolt is cycled.
Firing Pin Block_Up.JPG

Does this seem right?

I've tried it with the bottom metal off as well as the entire action/barrel out of the stock.

I'm going to attempt to post a video for reference

If it is not working out of the stock I think something is wrong with the trigger.

I would talk to Jewell about sending it back for them to have a look at it. Even the best can have a problem sometimes.

J E CUSTOM

If, when you made all the checks for sear engagement and the like, you didn't got to the instructions and make all the necessary adjustments in the order the instructions have them listed, do that first. Don't get in a hurry, you're adjusting a precision piece of equipment.

Well i think I might have resolved the issue. After stripping the trigger assembly down I polished both the fire pin block sides and the inside of the trigger housing plates. The gun will now stay cocked and only fire when the gun is taken off safe.

The trigger weight is only about 8oz so I'll need to bump it up to about 1 - 1.5lbs

Thanks for the help guys

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts