Trigger for BLR

The BLR is a really great package. I have 4 here in various chamberings, 243, 308 & 325 WSM. A buddy has one in 270. All are take down versions that will pack small enough for a regular suitcase to travel. I have one complely disassembled and stripped for a custom two barrel set. I'd planned 6mm Creedmoor/375 Raptor but debating changing one or both. I'll try and get a few pics of parts and relationships to clarify what's being discussed.

On the trigger, it's for sure the worst part of the rifles. In original form it varies from heavy horrible creepy gravel to not quite that bad. They can be made much better but never will be great. You will never get 1lb or anything remotely close to it. There's simply too much going on/too many parts. You probably have more than a pound just moving parts to get to the hammer/sear. Then to polish and true up the actual parts are shaped such that normal stones and fixtures won't work. Special knife shaped stones, fixtures and jigs to keep surfaces flat and not mess up the angles are required. Again, need pics to clarify. The comments on timing the gear mechanism are no joke. Don't let someone unfamiliar with the BLR specifically touch it internally.

I'm planning to REM polish the entire action and have purchased the specialized vibration polisher for the shop but haven't had time to get it set up. I think that will help tremendously across the board on trigger and action smoothness. We'll see how it goes.

It's a cool package - especially the take down. Strong rotary lock up very similar to an AR15. Super cool pivoting hammer safety. They handle great and the detachable magazine allows modern high power cartridges with pointed high BC bullets. The trigger is a glaring deficit.
Not to derail thread but
If you find someone who can change barrels please let me know!!

I'm all ears as well, those takedown bushings appear pressed on and some proprietary!

Nope! ;)

It takes something like this...
1699842146736.png

The takedown barrel bushing is on the right. Left piece is my wrench/socket.

I'm doing mine here in house. Just finishing setup. I have a fluted Krieger for the 243 and a fluted 6mm Bartlein for the Creedmoor (unless I change that).

Here's the hammer and sear engaged. Notice the hook isn't the correct angle, hence the trigger stacking you can feel. Also notice there is no decent access to the sear surfaces to polish with any normal stone or jig.
20231112_192705.jpg

Last edited:
Nope! ;)

It takes something like this...
View attachment 510454
The takedown barrel bushing is on the right. Left piece is my wrench/socket.

I'm doing mine here in house. Just finishing setup. I have a fluted Krieger for the 243 and a fluted 6mm Bartlein for the Creedmoor (unless I change that).

Here's the hammer and sear engaged. Notice the hook isn't the correct angle, hence the trigger stacking you can feel. Also notice there is no decent access to the sear surfaces to polish with any normal stone or jig.

That's a fine bit of tooling right there.

Epiphany moment here, thanks for that!

Yet I would still like 1 lb or less.
Can probably live with 2 lbs if I can get it down there.
I'm not going to be riding around with it cocked, or cocking it and throwing it to someone else who has to catch it.
So don't need some stiff trigger, or any concern about a little bump making it fire.
Actually a rule that is in place where I work, is don't ever carry with a round chambered. Its a lever action, when I need to chamber a round it takes maybe 1 second, its not a slow bolt action. I can fire a lever quickly, and am extremely comfortable doing so.
If I cannot solve the trigger problem with some time, i would then by a Henry and work on making it fit, and the trigger work for me. Then either sell the BLR, or just keep it as a spare is also a possibility.
Telling me what works for someone else who isn't me, is like me deciding what spouse/motorbike/horse/dog/meal is right for you.
I truly appreciate all the great help, but when people tell me that I still need to keep a stiff trigger, because that works for them, it really doesn't help me at all.

If someone came on here and said how do i make my trigger stiffer, I really like a 10 lb pull, to me that's cool they are modifying their rifle to how they want theirs to be. I would find it interesting, and read along, but not tell them that cannot work its too stiff.
Some guy asked me out on a date a while back, I really didn't want to go, but he kept asking, so I finally agreed to meet for a coffee. This boy then thought he should get to choose which coffee was right for me to have. I literally left him standing there alone in the line up, as I walked out the door of the coffee shop.
He could have mentioned to me what he liked to drink, and I would have gladly listened. But deciding that was what he was ordering for me, just showed me his true colors, so I left. What I like, maybe different than some other people like, but it doesn't make my choice incorrect for me, only the other person who isn't me.

I'm not going to be riding around with it cocked, or cocking it and throwing it to someone else who has to catch it.
So don't need some stiff trigger, or any concern about a little bump making it fire.
Actually a rule that is in place where I work, is don't ever carry with a round chambered. Its a lever action, when I need to chamber a round it takes maybe 1 second, its not a slow bolt action. I can fire a lever quickly, and am extremely comfortable doing so.
If I cannot solve the trigger problem with some time, i would then by a Henry and work on making it fit, and the trigger work for me. Then either sell the BLR, or just keep it as a spare is also a possibility.
Telling me what works for someone else who isn't me, is like me deciding what spouse/motorbike/horse/dog/meal is right for you.
I truly appreciate all the great help, but when people tell me that I still need to keep a stiff trigger, because that works for them, it really doesn't help me at all.

If someone came on here and said how do i make my trigger stiffer, I really like a 10 lb pull, to me that's cool they are modifying their rifle to how they want theirs to be. I would find it interesting, and read along, but not tell them that cannot work its too stiff.
Some guy asked me out on a date a while back, I really didn't want to go, but he kept asking, so I finally agreed to meet for a coffee. This boy then thought he should get to choose which coffee was right for me to have. I literally left him standing there alone in the line up, as I walked out the door of the coffee shop.
He could have mentioned to me what he liked to drink, and I would have gladly listened. But deciding that was what he was ordering for me, just showed me his true colors, so I left. What I like, maybe different than some other people like, but it doesn't make my choice incorrect for me, only the other person who isn't me.
A spring can get you close to 2 lbs.

Well said, my daughter also likes a very light trigger, started her off shooting 10/22s and an old 60s circa Remington 22, both triggers were too stiff. then swapped out the 10/22 trigger for an about 3lb trigger still too stiff, polished the sear surfaces and swapped out the spring. Now she can shoot the little turkey finger targets like she made with her hand in grade school with it at 50 yards. We do not carry or hunt with the gun, bought her a 20 gauges semi swapped out the spring. My HMR swapped out the trigger. The 7mm PRC I bought that I want her to try now has a 1.5 lb trigger.

You have to use and shoot with what you feel comfortable with, I typically shoot a 2.2 to 2.5 lb trigger, have gone even lighter, but as you state, I don't carry my rifles with a round in it. Young fella for coffee was either not too bright or very inexperienced with women.

As I have learned over the years 2nd marriage (first passed) a wise man once told me happy wife happy life. As my wife has told me many times, you never acted like that before we were married. After 12 years of marriage as of this past Saturday I think to myself elephants memory have nothing on my wife. But she did allow me to order dinner for her as she forgot her glasses. Sometimes feel like being trained, but oh well we still have fun a lot of fun. At any rate have fun and be safe.

How about a trigger shoe, makes the trigger wider. Mom used one on her Rem760 for many years. It does make it "feel" like the pull is lighter. 760's aren't known for having the best trigger but I hunted with one for years, couple different ones actually, from high school days till my 30's then started using bolt guns mostly. Still have a 760 in the safe ready to go. Get trigger to 2 lb point then add a shoe might be good enough.

Well said, my daughter also likes a very light trigger, started her off shooting 10/22s and an old 60s circa Remington 22, both triggers were too stiff. then swapped out the 10/22 trigger for an about 3lb trigger still too stiff, polished the sear surfaces and swapped out the spring. Now she can shoot the little turkey finger targets like she made with her hand in grade school with it at 50 yards. We do not carry or hunt with the gun, bought her a 20 gauges semi swapped out the spring. My HMR swapped out the trigger. The 7mm PRC I bought that I want her to try now has a 1.5 lb trigger.

You have to use and shoot with what you feel comfortable with, I typically shoot a 2.2 to 2.5 lb trigger, have gone even lighter, but as you state, I don't carry my rifles with a round in it. Young fella for coffee was either not too bright or very inexperienced with women.

As I have learned over the years 2nd marriage (first passed) a wise man once told me happy wife happy life. As my wife has told me many times, you never acted like that before we were married. After 12 years of marriage as of this past Saturday I think to myself elephants memory have nothing on my wife. But she did allow me to order dinner for her as she forgot her glasses. Sometimes feel like being trained, but oh well we still have fun a lot of fun. At any rate have fun and be safe.

Wonderful!

As for the boy who asked me out, then felt he would be deciding what I had to drink...he was going to get me something that I know would taste terrible to me. Ordering dinner for someone who you know as well as a wife of many years is charming, but you already know her likes and dislikes. Where as this boy knows nothing about me, or what I like, huge difference. My boss and I travel together frequently on trips, sometimes I just wait for him to order, and tell the server 'Ditto' as we have similar tastes. Other times I will beat him to the table, and he has already told me to order for him, because I know him well, and would never order anything that he doesn't like. Our last restaurant meal together, he didn't even pick up his menu, just told me to order for both of us. As the server was walking away, he looked at me and said "Good choice, that is going to be delicious ". I would feel comfortable letting my boss order for me anytime as well, because he understands me. My job is to anticipate what he wants, before he even knows himself, and do anything for him, often before he asks. Before 06:00 today, and my official start time isn't until 07:00, I had his daily carry 338 prepared and on his ATV, had filled a gas can, and taken that up and filled his ATV with gas, checked the oil level, swept the snow off of it as we got our first snowfall last night, filled his insulated water bottle and put it in the trunk, made sure that there was also food in there he likes, ensured the dogs had water and food, then rode down to the horses on my ATV and checked on them, then went back to my cabin.
06:40 I heard his voice on my work radio, he knew that I had already taken care of things, so all he said was "Good morning Small, and thanks for being amazing, hope you're feeling better ".
We are going to be traveling today, before he mentions that its time to get the 530 ready, i plan to have it outside, fueled, preflight done, his personal bag packed and onboard, plus his briefcase packed and onboard. Yesterday on my day off so to speak, I put the battery charger on it, emptied the survival kit, inventoried it, repacked it, and added plenty of heavy winter clothing in our sizes, incase we have to make an emergency landing, or crash.
My point is that I know him, he knows me, as a man should know his wife. Only an arrogant fool would try and tell a woman who he knows nothing about, how she will be doing things.