308 Browning BLR pre 81

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Millerman, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Millerman

Millerman New Member

Hey I have recently purchased a BLR made in Belgium and unfortunately it did not come with a magazine, I am finding it rather hard to find the proper magazine for this rifle and the one local gun store told me that these clips have been obsolete for the past 5 years. I am curious if a clip from a BAR will fit the BLR??? I would love to find a magazine for this rifle since everything I have read says nothing but good things, I have found a couple BAR clips on Ebay and that's why im asking for advice if they are interchangeable.
    Thanks for all advice it is greatly appreciated.

2. etisll40

etisll40 Well-Known Member

No, the mag system has to be for a pre-81, it is a little different shape. I had 1 of these last year and I found another magazine and had a replacement, similar but not as great as the original. You won't get much with out a magazine if you sell. If you search consistently on gunbroker and nationally you will find one, they are out there. There was an aftermarket one, I had 1 of those too, as a back up, ended up selling it on gunbroker for 300 last year. Rediculous huh. Unless you really need the money, I'd keep the gun, try to acquire 2 mags over time. You will then have an investment and a rifle with back up worth something someday. They are sweet guns. good Luck. I wish I never sold mine with the extra mag now.

3. bruce_ventura

bruce_ventura Well-Known Member

To my knowledge, they are not interchangeable. I have a Pre 81 BLR in 358 Win. It is by far my favorite woods rifle.

It came with one magazine, so I bought two more from a guy who had a couple extra. I paid $75 each for them and was happy to do it. I also had to find an ejector pin to replace the one that broke. Numrich came through for me on that one.

The price of used magazines for the Pre-81 BLR has gone pretty high. At this point, I recommend that you watch eBay and Gunbroker auctions. Expect to pay at least $175 for one (eBay price three years ago).