308 Browning BLR pre 81

Millerman

Hey I have recently purchased a BLR made in Belgium and unfortunately it did not come with a magazine, I am finding it rather hard to find the proper magazine for this rifle and the one local gun store told me that these clips have been obsolete for the past 5 years. I am curious if a clip from a BAR will fit the BLR??? I would love to find a magazine for this rifle since everything I have read says nothing but good things, I have found a couple BAR clips on Ebay and that's why im asking for advice if they are interchangeable.
Thanks for all advice it is greatly appreciated.

No, the mag system has to be for a pre-81, it is a little different shape. I had 1 of these last year and I found another magazine and had a replacement, similar but not as great as the original. You won't get much with out a magazine if you sell. If you search consistently on gunbroker and nationally you will find one, they are out there. There was an aftermarket one, I had 1 of those too, as a back up, ended up selling it on gunbroker for 300 last year. Rediculous huh. Unless you really need the money, I'd keep the gun, try to acquire 2 mags over time. You will then have an investment and a rifle with back up worth something someday. They are sweet guns. good Luck. I wish I never sold mine with the extra mag now.

To my knowledge, they are not interchangeable. I have a Pre 81 BLR in 358 Win. It is by far my favorite woods rifle.

It came with one magazine, so I bought two more from a guy who had a couple extra. I paid $75 each for them and was happy to do it. I also had to find an ejector pin to replace the one that broke. Numrich came through for me on that one.

The price of used magazines for the Pre-81 BLR has gone pretty high. At this point, I recommend that you watch eBay and Gunbroker auctions. Expect to pay at least $175 for one (eBay price three years ago).

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.