Tragic bear attack in Wyoming

There used to be a commercial for some food/candy that had a song playing throughout, "Just one Bite".

She's not only good looking she's got some serious guts. Better hang on to that one!
And she loves to hunt, which means I get to hunt a little bit less...
LOL
IMG_1084.jpg

Man if you let that one get away we're all gonna send you in for a head exam!
Sometimes she's hard to deal with, like on her 1st hunt....
she got too exited and got scoped, and I had to play doctor.
Dr. Redneck that is.....
It was kind of funny... after all the excitement we were driving home and she say she kind of has a headache....I look and see a huge shiner.....Oooops
20130308_113859.jpeg

Sometimes she's hard to deal with, like on her 1st hunt....
she got too exited and got scoped, and I had to play doctor.
Dr. Redneck that is.....
It was kind of funny... after all the excitement we were driving home and she say she kind of has a headache....I look and see a huge shiner.....Oooops View attachment 107240
Yet she took it with a smile. Trust me, you could do worse.

I've doctored a lot of doc's in the field and it's always entertaining so I know exactly how you feel.

You really need to step up to at least a .41 magnum.

Even more important would be your ammo selection, no personal defense rounds designed for maximum expansion and minimum penetration.

A heavy plus p jacketed hollow point that gets maximum penetration and delayed expansion is pretty well essential for such purposes.

10 mm is right at 41 mag ballistics or just shy of. I am by no means any kind of expert but would rather have 15 rounds vs 6 rounds.

The 10mm is impressive, but no it doesn't equal the .41's energy or performance.

It is a great round for semi auto pistol hunting on medium sized game but when your life is on the line, more is better particularly with respect to energy and penetration.

I have Taurus 444 and 425 titanium models in both .41 and .44m. They are five shot, five inch revolvers that weigh in around 30 oz so they are ideal sidearms when packing or hunting.

Any of the three beats the hell out of bear spray.

"It has been done with a 10mm doesn't mean that it's a good choice over more powerful rounds.

The number of hits is secondary to the number of accurately placed shots that penetrate deeply with delayed expansion.

Not knocking it if that's all a guy has got but there are better options.

But getting startled, how many of your 5 shots will miss their mark ? Like I have said I am by no means any kind of expert and know a bear would be on top of you before blinking. Just would rather have more rounds in 10 mm than fewer in 41. Hoping never to find out.

10 mm is right at 41 mag ballistics or just shy of. I am by no means any kind of expert but would rather have 15 rounds vs 6 rounds.
If you're shooting plus P bear loads in the 41/44 the 10mm isn't even in their league.

10-15 round is great but personally I'd rather have a revolver that will perform 100% of the time under any conditions.

Fascinating stuff.
I hope my luck continues and I never mix it up with a grizz/brown. I've come across a few black, but they've never caused any trouble, usually turn and run as soon as they realize I'm around.

If you're shooting plus P bear loads in the 41/44 the 10mm isn't even in their league.

10-15 round is great but personally I'd rather have a revolver that will perform 100% of the time under any conditions.

I have all 3 calibers,so maybe I may change my mind before going.

Double action revolver with bear worthy power and bear worthy ammo/bullets. Then practice enough to operate well while in panic mode.

Noise doesn't scare or stop the determined bears.

If a situation increases the odds of a nasty bear assault (such as returning to kill site) I'm gonna choose a pump shotgun when available. Next a rifle. Next a revolver.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.