308 AR 10 for Wyoming Black Bear

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by backyardsniper, Nov 15, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. backyardsniper

backyardsniper Well-Known Member

I'm kicking around some ideas for my spring bear hunt this year. I have archery hunted black bear in Maine but only once and I don't really have a lot of experience with the black bears so I thought I would run some ideas by you all and get your thoughts.
    Spring black bear hunt in Wyoming. Spot and stalk horseback type hunt. I'm trying to figure out which rifle is best suited for this hunt. If any of you hunt Bridger Teton area let me know what you think. I believe the 308 is plenty big enough and probably sports plenty of power out to the 400yd ish range but I don't know how far the potential shots are there in the spring. I have elk hunted the area and know that shots can be long. Should I step up to a larger set up? Not sure how much hiking we'll do vs just sitting and Glassing.

2. PredatorSlayer

PredatorSlayer Well-Known Member

308 should be good to a lot farther than 400 on black bears. We kill them out to 700 ish with 6mm creedmoors/243s.

3. backyardsniper

Thanks, that's kind of what I was wondering. It's still showing 1300ft lb at 400 so yeah probably 600 anyway. Hopefully the shot will be in the 300 - 400yd range but I'd rather be prepared for the worst than to go home empty handed.

4. PredatorSlayer

PredatorSlayer Well-Known Member

I am not sure what your load is, but they are super easy to kill. Not tough animals.

5. KyCarl

KyCarl Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

I have a Bushmaster and a Adams and I've gotten deer with both no problem?
    Watch capacity laws and if semi's are legal..Go for it!

6. backyardsniper

I'll cook up a load for the hunt but I would guess it'll be in the neighborhood of a 168-178 eld x or something similar. I'm running a 16" barrel so probably around 2600fps. I usually run a 168 nosler custom comp at around 2660fps for whitetails around home

PredatorSlayer likes this.
  7. hunter67wa

hunter67wa Well-Known Member

It will work. I've been running 308 this year with 180 AB and it is hammering everything. Also you will be in griz country too. Oh btw im running 20" suppressed

8. Plinker147

Plinker147 Well-Known Member

Carrying an AR 10 would be my biggest concern. Mine was a brick way to heavy to lug around the hills. Plus they won’t fit in a normal horse scabbard. Other than that it’s plenty good for a bear.

toecutter, hunter67wa and Hand Skills like this.
  9. Quicksilver338

Quicksilver338 Well-Known Member

You’ll be fine out to 600yds. With black bear shot placement is more important than what caliber you’re shooting. Miss your mark and watch it run off, put s good one on it and should go down by 60yds.

10. dreamhunt

dreamhunt Well-Known Member

I use mine for hunting hogs at night. I modified a camera gyro to mount in my side×side atv. It's actually a 3 seater Yamaha viking with the gyro mounted in the middle. The rifle is mounted so that the driver or passenger can shoot. With all the trimmings the m&p is a very heavy rifle coming in over 11#s. It's not the most accurate but it sure gets the job done. The range on all the lights I have mounted on my rifle and buggy is about 250 yards. I sighted dead on at 200 and it's been a deadly combo for several years now. The Burris M-tac scope has held up very well so far and this is a rough style of hunting.