Traditional mushroom or shedding petals

.7mm.

Wanna hear from the mono crowd. Not trying to start a war between lead core/bonded/mono

I like to develop atleast one mono load for my hunting rifles. But I go back and forth between the traditional barnes lrx style mushrooming bullet and wanting to try something new like the Apex Afterburner. I have already shot hammers and they did all right. But after one negative experience I went back to barnes.

I'd like to see some wound channels and maybe some terminal ballistic reports from petal shedding bullets other than hammers like the CE and Apex. Also comparisons to the lrx.

Post pics if you got them and terminal reports.

I've had TTSX bullets shed petals. I realize it's not the norm, but it may offer a best of both worlds scenario.

I'm personally looking hard at the tipped hammer hunter (HHT). I feel like the extra diameter of the hollow point on top of higher BC make it about perfect. But I haven't tried them yet so who knows.

Wanna hear from the mono crowd. Not trying to start a war between lead core/bonded/mono

I like to develop atleast one mono load for my hunting rifles. But I go back and forth between the traditional barnes lrx style mushrooming bullet and wanting to try something new like the Apex Afterburner. I have already shot hammers and they did all right. But after one negative experience I went back to barnes.

I'd like to see some wound channels and maybe some terminal ballistic reports from petal shedding bullets other than hammers like the CE and Apex. Also comparisons to the lrx.

If you do not want it to shed any of the petals, check out https://makerbullets.com/

@Bghunter338

Last edited:

For Apex, @Petey308

I have used the Hornady Cx in 2 different rifle 6.5 creedmoor and the 26 nosler both had completely passed Thur the animals hard quartering to us . Thur the front shoulder and the opposite back leg At about 125yards

Mushroom. Don't forget, if it sheds all its petals you have a diameter sized shank left. I've killed 2 deer with shedding monos. One left a .264 entrance and exit. The other left a .284 entrance and a ping pong ball exit, but it was a much longer shot so I assume it didn't shed petals. The one that shed petals left almost zero blood.

I too shoot Hammers, Barnes and lately McGuire copper roses all in search of the best mono metal that kills like lead. Lately, and I don't know if Barnes changed, but I notice the LRX have been shedding their petals with hard impacts. McGuire shows and advertises perfect beautiful rose type mushrooms. First deer we shot, it completely shed its petals and we recovered a stump in the neck bones of a deer. They all killed the animals and did decent damage. Last week I killed a beautiful 200 lb sow around 180 yds away. Quartering hard towards me. I shot her in the neck and all 4 feet went up, she died where she stood. I drug her with a rope behind my truck about 200 yds to a flat place to gut and load her up. I noticed something shiny on the offside rib cage. That Hornady copper monoflex bullet went through bones lungs and 30 inches of pork before resting just barely captured by the hide. It was a beautiful mushroom with 6 petals and showed a great wound channel. This was factory leverevolution ammo from my 308 Marlin Express at 2700 fps. 140 grain monoflex. I was pretty impressed with it!

Attachments

• 20231207_161806.jpg
    20231207_161806.jpg
    643 KB · Views: 35
  • 20231207_165030.jpg
    20231207_165030.jpg
    660.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 20231207_165017.jpg
    20231207_165017.jpg
    479.9 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
I'm going to use the DRT bullets this year to see if I can get a more traditional lead type performance out of a non-lead bullet.

It's not a mono and doesn't behave anything like one. But it is lead free.

I've had ok results with both hammer and badlands. Of the two of those, I go with badlands.

I'm going to use the DRT bullets this year to see if I can get a more traditional lead type performance out of a non-lead bullet.

It's not a mono and doesn't behave anything like one. But it is lead free.

I've had ok results with both hammer and badlands. Of the two of those, I go with badlands.
If you have not seen it yet, Nathan Foster has a video hunt using DRTs.