Tracking in new leupold vx5hd and vx6hds?

zr600

ok I have been reasearchimg scopes lately. The vx5hd is a really good option for the price for my coyote rifle I think. I like the options weight turret and it's a reasonable price with great glass I think. Now I had a post on a different forum a couple guys were saying night force is the only way to go if your going to dial the turret. What are the reviews on the tracking of these scopes? Few people are saying the leupold will break in time not hold zero or track. Like after 300-50" rounds his vx6 with zl2 turrets wasn't tracking. Said he broke 3 leupolds in 2017. Are they really bad or is he super hard on stuff or has really bad luck and got a sour taste in his mouth? I know all manufactures have failures. To me the vx5hd fits perfect and I don't know how leupold could build a scope that bad after being in business as long as they have and still be doing good. Any advice would be great on this.

Their old turrets had issues but the new version, which is the ZL2 has had stellar tracking in my use of it. Which has been limited as I got it 2 weeks so. But even if it stops tracking correctly they would warranty it.

The new ZL2 turrets are excellent, I have 3 VX-6s with the ZL2 turrets and they track great.
I have a VX-5HD 3-15x44 CDS ZL2 I may be selling if interested. Basically new, it was mounted and pulled right back off and put in the box.

Why did you pull it off?
Because I had a VX-6HD available sitting in the safe. I was just comparing glass quality of the 5 to 6. They say it's better but I really couldn't tell, maybe in very low light the 6 is better. The 5s run around $900-$1100 the 6s run $1500-$2000 I think the 5s are the way to go. I have 3 6s now so of course I use them but they are both great optics with the new ZL2 turret.

What distances are you comfortable shooting with the 15x ? I know each has there own preferences but I am used to 9 or 10.5x on the high side here in southwestern pa. But I don't want to under power or over power my new 6.5x284. Looking for advice on the sweet spot for deer elk etc out to 6-700 targets to 1000? Really like Leupold so wanna stick with them and keep my rig light as possible .

What distances are you comfortable shooting with the 15x ? I know each has there own preferences but I am used to 9 or 10.5x on the high side here in southwestern pa. But I don't want to under power or over power my new 6.5x284. Looking for advice on the sweet spot for deer elk etc out to 6-700 targets to 1000? Really like Leupold so wanna stick with them and keep my rig light as possible .
Man it really depends on you as the shooter. I have these 3-18 VX-6 scopes and honestly I shoot most of my long range deer shots on 9-10 power at the highest at ranges of 400-600 yards. The Leupold are clear all the way to full magnification, really depends on what you like and are comfortable with?

Their old turrets had issues but the new version, which is the ZL2 has had stellar tracking in my use of it. Which has been limited as I got it 2 weeks so. But even if it stops tracking correctly they would warranty it.

The issue is, if it stops tracking correctly during a hunt. The warranty isn't worth much if your bullets don't go where they're supposed to....

The issue is, if it stops tracking correctly during a hunt. The warranty isn't worth much if your bullets don't go where they're supposed to....
I agree with that, but I've never had an issue with tracking. Especially with the ZL2 turrets. I think Leupolds old turrets weren't as robust and were geared toward the average shooter who set zero and held over for elevation. Long range shooting and hunting has grown to a larger thing and now there are a lot more people dialing in shots for long distance. Leupolds new turrets have tracked great for me without failure.

Leupold told me the vx5hd and vx6hds have the same glass just get bigger magnification range alumina caps and sun shade, exposed windage turret, illumination and the level.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.