Tough time getting patches through my barrel - Help!!

toader

I cleaned my Patriot Arms .300 Win mag the other night to get ready to start dialing it in for an up coming elk hunt. The rifle is basically brand new - only around 125 rounds down the tube. (Broughton 5c barrel)

I started with a couple wet patches w/ Butch's on it. They went throught the tube fairly easily. Next ran a couple of dry patches through and they were rough to push through.

Next Used Wipe Out and let sit for 1 hour. When I went to dry patch the Wipe Out, I had a hell of a time getting the patch through. I really had to puts some nuts behind the cleaning rod to get through. The rod was flexing and I was worried about boogering up my barrel. Ran a couple more through and they got a little easier but not like on my other rifles.

Could it be that the barrel was down to bare metal and the dry patch was catching on the inside?? Like I said this is a new barrel and I'm worried about something being f'd up??

Maybe I'm worrying over nothing?? (I have obessive compulsive disorder) Haven't shot it since.

What do you guys think??

Think maybe with the new barrel, you might have waited an excessive number of rounds before cleaning? It would seem to me to be a long process of dry brushing, JB, copper remover, and a heck of a lot of elbow grease. Suggest that you don't even think of shooting it before it is thoroughly clean, really clean.
Good cleaning and shooting straight.

Assume that be the case, then there is a spot that catches and needs to be cleaned out, or polished, or otherwise removed to achieve the accuracy that they are well known for. What ever the reason there is work to be done.

Find a smith or a knowledgable friend with a bore scope and have them look in the barrel before you run abrasive down a lapped custom barrel.

If your patches are a little too big for the jag/barrel wet ones will usually slide but dry ones with no lube effectivly push harder.

Stick a q-tip about 3/4" in the muzzle and shine a light in there. you should be able to see any copper build-up in the muzzle if fouling is the problem.

Buy some Iosso paste and the Iosso brushes and just follow the directions using a bore guide of course. The tube should be as smooth as glass! I have some of North's tubes and they are perfect bore scope verified of course.

Sounds like you may need to use a smaller patch as well as not all patches are the same and the jag will make some too tight actually.

I have had this happen, if I doubled the patches. In other words, did not notice that two were layered together. I usually wound up tapping back of the cleaning rod with a rubber hammer until they exit. If you did not double the patches, my guess is that you have a lot of carbon in the barrel. GM engine cleaner will remove carbon.

Gene, that is a real good idea. I've used it to remove carbon in engines for years. Thanks for the hint. A good bore lite might also point out where the catch is located and what it might look like. Been the double patch situation also.

Have a great day.

Rifle is shooting well!!

It seems that if you stick the patch dead center, its tough to push through. Started sticking the patches slightly off center, and now going through barrel with no problems.

Thanks for everyones input/suggestions.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.