Can't get the barrel off my M700. Help!

I use the vice and wrench from Brownell's with a set of Aluminum bushing that they sell. There is also
a kit that you can cast bushings for the barrel wrench that will give you a perfect fit on any barrel.

I line the Aluminum barrel bushings with one layer of the paper shop towels and it doesn't leave
a mark on the barrel if you keep it.

On the receiver wrench I use .003 copper shims to protect the finish on the receiver, (If there is
any copper left on the action it can be easily removed with bore solvent.

Use a large rubber mallet on the receiver wrench instead of a cheater and the impact from the mallet will break it lose without turning the barrel in the barrel vice.

The sealer will stand up to a lot of torque but it has very little impact strength and normally comes off with one blow from the rubber mallet.

This is a case of the right tool for the job.

There are other ways as mentioned but they are time consuming compared to using the right tools.

Normally it takes less than 3 or 4 minutes to remove even the most difficult barrel.

In reference to the Gorilla that puts barrels own, The Savage Gorilla is the biggest.

J E CUSTOM
THAT IS A FACT.
And I agree using a rubber malet was the only way I got my Savages off. It is amazing how much Torque that little barrel nut will take. I actually use a dead blow mallet I got from auto zone and on the second whack the nut broke lose. I still had to tie rope around the barrel and twist the action in the action vice as the bluing or what ever it is had leaked into the action thread.
I always appreciate your posts. I wish I had a quality gunsmith like the guys on here who lived in my area so I could apprentice.

It helps if you ditch the dead blow, they are great for driving but they are a brute force tool and don't impart any shock to the part, a regular ball pien on the wrench will give it that little shock that looses parts. I'm going to make an adapter to I can use an air hammer on the Savage nuts, air hammers remove stuff so easy it's not funny!!

It helps if you ditch the dead blow, they are great for driving but they are a brute force tool and don't impart any shock to the part, a regular ball pien on the wrench will give it that little shock that looses parts. I'm going to make an adapter to I can use an air hammer on the Savage nuts, air hammers remove stuff so easy it's not funny!!
Thanks for the tip. I love my father in laws air hammer.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.