How do I get this front sight off?

jmden

This is from an old Springfield O3A3. I'd sure like to get this front sight removed and then get the barrel and action reblued. Any ideas on how or who to have remove it or is it just not worth it, etc.?

Jamie's elk gun muzzle pic.JPG

Having only taken off a soldered on front sight from a Remmy 721 we built a heat sink to keep the barrel cool and put the torch to the ramp.

Got the job done.

Your's is different with that collar. Tougher to build an effective heat sink.

If were mine and the work were being done in my garage, assuming it's soldered, I'd very carefully, as in brain surgery careful, cut the collar on both sides of the ramp.

Then heat the collar with a MAP gas torch or some such thing. At the right temp it should be easily pushed off with a piece of wood.

Then heat the ramp until it falls off.

This based on my thinkin' that the solder between the sight and the barrel acts as an insulator.

Keep in mind that I may well be totally wrong about this. :rolleyes:

That sight does not look original for an 03A3 Rifle. It looks like the original sight already has been replaced. First thing I would do is remove the site itself from the dovetail. There may be a set screw under the sight. If my memory serves me right Lyman or Marble made a sight similar to the picture back in the 50's or 60's for sporterizing military rifles. It may have a screw and then been soldered also, Checking for a screw in the dovetail would be first to me. Good Luck

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.