Can't get barrel off of rem 700 action

1894C

Friend of mine put an extra 10 grains of powder into a 243 on a 788 once when we where in high school and had no idea *** we where doing. To get the barrel off we welded the thrown end a table in shop class... lots of cussing later we got it off. Chopped 2” off the crown end and 3” off the chamber off that 788 barrel and it still shoots 1-1.25 moa with Walmart ammo. Much was learned in that process.... most important check your scale before you dump powder every time...

JuddL

One of the gunsmiths I use use is convinced Tikka employs a gorilla to tighten their barrels :)

Will Gray

I think the force gets really high because the action is distorted by the wrench holding the action. Gripping the barrel with wood blocks cut to the just under the barrel diameter with a piece of very fine finishing sandpaper around the barrel works without a mark.

Will Gray

I put anti-seize on the threads when assembling any of the barrel nut setups.

ThrdKllr

I use a fairly heavy rubber hammer on my action wrench. A good rap will deliver more results than only pulling on it. I also use Kroil through the scope base screws overnight. That Kroil is some amazing stuff.

George Dean

The last 700 I bought from Wally World (just a couple of months ago) the barrel was so tight that I bent my Davidson action wrench! I bet I have removed a 100 or so barrels and NEVER had one on that tight! I thought I might have tweaked the action but that was not the case.
I did heat the action a little but I think next time, I am going to put some Kroil on the threads and let it soak over night before I try and remove another one.
Love the Kroil treatment. I refurbished Garands for my VFW. Removing gas tubes could be problematic. A several day soak in Kroil worked wonders.

Jeffrey Van Zandt

This is my first time trying to remove a barrel so I can install a remage barrel. I have installed remage barrels but have never had to removed a factory barrel. I bought a cheap rem 700 in 243 on clearance from wally world. Its never been fired. I bought a wheeler action wrench and barrel vise. I degreased the barrel and I used rosin on the wood blocks. I crank down the barrel vise and at first it won't budge but eventually the barrel starts to turn in the vise. Am I doing something wrong? I am not opposed to purchasing another barrel vise so if there is a much better one out there, please let me know. I am not sure that I am so impressed with the wheeler vise. I have also seen where some people use hydraulic presses. Is that better than a barrel vise?
old rem action it is hard to get the factory barrels off some are so rusted it is nor funny

Far North Hunter

LRH Team Member
I sure agree with the use of Kroil. I stand the firearm muzzle down. Pour a fairly generous amount of Kroil into the chamber, scope plugs in place and let sit overnight. If it still fights you, use a heat gun on the receiver until good and warm/hot. Then use your dead blow on the action wrench. Use a good bbl vise.

Lefty G-gear

I USED BROWN SUGAR INSTEAD OF ROSIN, AND IT WORKED.
THEN I RINSED IT OFF WITH HOT WATER IN THE SINK.
YOU HAVE TO TIGHTEN THE WOOD AROUND THE BARREL MORE THAN YOU THINK.

lenk7mm

It's not tight enough if the barrel spins.
I had to whack my action wrench with a sledge hammer to break
the barrel loose on my 22-250.

Mram10us

LRH Team Member
One of the gunsmiths I use use is convinced Tikka employs a gorilla to tighten their barrels :)
Truth. I have used my heat gun with dual 12” crescent wrenches to get those barrels off

Primary

LRH Assistant
Here are some related products that LRH members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to LRH’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to LRH discussions about these products.