Can't tap out Rem 700 trigger pins! Ahhgg!

sambo3006

I was going to take the factory trigger off my Rem 700 action to make it more streamlined for shipping to an out of state gunsmith. I have done this on other actions a half dozen times or more and every time the two pins that hold the trigger on the action tap out relatively easy. These two will hardly budge. I have tapped pretty darn hard and even broke my punch. Anybody encounter this before and any suggestions?

I was going to take the factory trigger off my Rem 700 action to make it more streamlined for shipping to an out of state gunsmith. I have done this on other actions a half dozen times or more and every time the two pins that hold the trigger on the action tap out relatively easy. These two will hardly budge. I have tapped pretty darn hard and even broke my punch. Anybody encounter this before and any suggestions?

Some are harder than others and if they have been driven out the wrong way they get
tough.

Always drive them out from the safety side . Normally if you look close one end of the pin
has a little chamfer on it and that is the it was installed (the chamfer makes it easier to
start .

These pins are not tapered but sometimes get ruff treatment from the factory and peen
the end over a little making them hard to remove.

J E CUSTOM

Success!
Had to beat the @#$^! out of them but got them out. The nonbeveled ends were indeed flattened. I'm going to grind those ends back smooth before the trigger goes back on.

Thanks for the input, JE Custom. I was tapping on the correct end but apparently someone else hadn't!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.